• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg is torquing my shorts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notarat

I order a lot from Newegg, even though they have a local business presence and I have to pay sales tax (so it really isn't much cheaper than a Brick & Mortar store.)

I've been more frugal over the last few years, but I still have spent $20,809.89 (Edited to change amount from "easily over $8,000") with them over the last 4 years or so. (I don't know about you guys, but that's not loose change to me so I expect to get what I paid for...)

Recently though I have begun to question why I even bother with them anymore...lemme 'splain

I ordered an external eSATA docking enclosure to connect one of my two new 1TB drives to my HTPC (both drives bought at the egg too)

I also ordered a USB 2.0 enclosure to connect to the HTPC so I could connect either my DVD+-RW or my 750GB PATA (depending on which device I needed at the time, DVD or PATA HDD)

I ordered two of the WD Caviar Black SATA6 Drives with the USB 2 enclosure on one order, and another order for the eSATA enclosure.

I paid $25 for the eSATA enclosure, but it cost $36 total because of shipping and tax. (it was it's own order, separate from the HDDs and USB enclosure, so shipping was separate from the other order)

Not complaining about the tax...I don't mind paying tax on a local purchase because it helps my state government avoid implementing a state income tax.

This isn't about that. Just want to make that clear...

It cost $8 to ship it 5 miles, but it isn't about that either. (though that chafes me)

When the eSATA unit arrived, it was not in shrink-wrapped packaging, and it arrived missing both eSATA cables that are advertised as being included with the unit. It was also missing one of the two plastic covers that allow you to use a 2.5" HDD in the unit.

Here's what really gets me...

If I RMA the unit, it will cost $11 to send the unit back to Newgg, in California, and I'll have to pay another $8 to ship its replacement to me and they cannot guarantee will actually ship with all included accessories.

So if I go the RMA route and buy another unit, this process will end up costing me:

Purchase 1 -- $25 unit price + $8 shipping + $3 for tax = $36 for a unit that doesn't work and needs returned....Now let's say for sake of discussion that I get all $36 back once they receive it and inspect it and refund my money...

Purchase 2 -- $11 to RMA purchase 1 to California + $25 for a new unit + $8 more for shipping + $3 more for tax = $47

In order for "me" to correct Newegg's mistake, I get to pay $47 total for a unit that only costs $25.

Okay...so maybe I don't go that route...maybe I just order an eSATA cable instead, right?

The only eSATA cable I am willing to purchase is $4.60. Oh...it requires $7 in shipping. There's $11 down the crapper just to replace one of the two cables I should have received in the first place...

It's hard to see the "value" in that, or in continuing to do business with them considering their recent track record with my orders...

That "other" enclosure? The USB 2.0 one I bought for my 5.25" DVD+-RW? None of the 4 drives I have (DVD+-RW, DVD+-RW Dual Layer, and two CD-RWs will successfully burn a disc or boot a computer when in that enclosure.

Yes. I'm aware that companies do get bad products from their suppliers from time to time...and when that happens I have been very accommodating, but this does not fall into that realm of having an "oopsie" ,moment once or even twice in a year...it's twice in a week, with products that were rated 4.5+ eggs, and I am expected to throw more money their way to correct their mistake?

I have sent a PM to the vendor rep but I doubt anything will be done before Thanksgiving....

I hope this doesn't impact the warranty for the 2nd WD 1TB Drive because it has been sitting now for a week now, unopened, because I have nothing to connect it to my computer with thanks to the missing cables

Last edited:
sounds to me like you ordered an "open box" item. if you didn't, then it sounds like they shipped you one. If you did order it "open box" then you don't get cables, all open box items are advertised as such. If they made a mistake and sent you an open box item when you ordered a regular retail item, then then Newegg Support should be able to straighten it out for you.

sounds to me like you ordered an "open box" item. if you didn't, then it sounds like they shipped you one. If you did order it "open box" then you don't get cables, all open box items are advertised as such. If they made a mistake and sent you an open box item when you ordered a regular retail item, then then Newegg Support should be able to straighten it out for you.

I never order open box. From anyone. I have enough difficulty getting new stuff from Newegg to work to even consider buying someone else's rejects.

I say fire off a private message to the newegg rep and/or call them up and get this cleared up:

Phone Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri- 5:30am - 5:30pm PT
Toll Free-(800) 390-1119
Fax-(626) 271-9403

My experience with Newegg over many years has been mixed. Some times they correct their problems properly and efficiently and other times they punish the purchaser even though it is not their problem. In my experience how much you spend with them means nothing when it comes to customer service. They have tight margins and work on volume. That means they are not inclined to incur any service expense to correct their problems.

Hopefully the Newegg rep who monitors this forum will contact you and quickly and properly resolve the matter but I wouldn't hold my breath based on my personal experience... Both phone and e-mail to Newegg Customer Support has shown complete technical cluelessness in my experience.

I also love that in their product reviews that you are not allowed to mention if a product came without the proper parts enclosed or if they screwed up the order or other obvious service/product issues. Bascially all they want is glowing reviews. That is borderline unscrupulous IMO.

I also love that in their product reviews that you are not allowed to mention if a product came without the proper parts enclosed or if they screwed up the order or other obvious service/product issues. Bascially all they want is glowing reviews. That is borderline unscrupulous IMO.

Not true at all. Newegg is loaded with a ton of negative reviews of products...to include some that ding Newegg.

They play a major factor in any product I order from them or someone else.

I said that is what they DESIRE if you actually read their "rules and guidelines" when filing a review. Maybe you didn't bother to read those? ;)

After looking around at different sites over the weekend to obtain pricing and shipping information for the cables I never received from Newegg, I decided to order them from a different company (Directron)

Additionally, I decided to order another eSATA Cable, a USB 3 to SATA HDD enclosure, and USB 3 cable.

One thing to note:

The price for an eSATA cable at Newegg was $4.60 + $7.99 Shipping (plus Tax)

The price for Two 6ft eSATA cables was $12, a 6ft USB 3 Cable $5, and an external USB3 to SATA Hard Drive Docking station was $29, but shipping for all those items was $5.99, $2 cheaper than the shipping for 1 cable from Newegg. Would love to hear the explanation for that from Newegg since the cable would ship from Memphis to Memphis, while the entire order from Directron ships from out of state...

I'm not advocating one vendor over another. I'm just stating what I had to do in order to get the enclosure to an "operational" status, which should have been last week had Newegg not messed up.

I've never ordered from Directron before, so it remains to be seen what kind of customer service they display. Considering the huge difference in Shipping costs, and the fact I do not need to pay Taxes on the order, I may stay with them as my future parts supplier...

One thing I note on the plus side for Directron is the fact I can leave them shipping instructions...This is important to me because I have my packages held at the UPS facility whenever possible. The facility is close to where I work and it is easier to stop there on the way home than to arrive home to find an info-notice on my door telling me to come to the facility at 8pm to pick up my packages.

Not true at all. Newegg is loaded with a ton of negative reviews of products...to include some that ding Newegg.

They play a major factor in any product I order from them or someone else.

Let's put that to the test. I believe the sign of any good company is not just to tout their good service, but to admit when they messed up and work to make things right. As a result, I posted the following review of the Hard Drive I cannot use, and I dinged Newegg as the reason for the poor review. Let's see if they approve the review.

review.png

I do note that I had to be very generic in my review because Newegg's guidelines state clearly that I am not allowed to make negative comments about their service, nor the service of their partners.
Specifically, this part:
Criticism of Newegg.com's service or the service of our operations partners. (FedEx, UPS, Paypal, etc.)

Last edited:
seriously, did you even give them the chance? And it makes sense to me to not allow that stuff in a PRODUCT REVIEW because it has nothing to do with the PRODUCT.

ninja edit: and can you link us to the exact product that you ordered?

Yes. I called. Yes. I chatted via chat. Yes. I gave them a chance.

No. They did not respond with a solution on the call. No. They did not respond with a solution in the chat. No. They did not respond to PM here at all.

Rat, Does that answer suffice?

Splat, instead of assuming I jumped the gun, and instead of questioning whether or not I gave them a chance, how 'bout giving me the benefit of the doubt that I did attempt to resolve the situation in a calm, rational manner? ;)

N82E16817801059 is the item#

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817801059

Note the following in the Description:

Package Contents:1 x SATA HDD docking station 1 x Installation manual 2 x 2.5" hard drive plastic fixture 2 x SATA to eSATA cable 1 x AC adapter

Also look at the pics...they show both eSATA Cables.

I do stand by the review I posted. It's completely useless unless I have the cables needed to connect them, and I do not have them.

Yes. I do expect to get what I ordered. I expect to get it without having to call. I expect to get it without having to chat. I expect to get it without having to RMA and re-order (the only solution they offered)

I do not expect these things because of a sense of entitlement. I expect to have these things because I paid for them. I traded my money for goods and/or service and got little of either.

all that we can go on is what you are posting here for us, so if you are leaving information out then we can only conclude that it isn't there to begin with. We can't pull up your account history at newegg and see the orders you've placed and the chat transcripts, so you've got to prove to us that you are doing all in your power to find a sane resolution.

What do you mean by "they did not respond with a solution"? I'm sure they at the very least said that you can return the product.

Did you contact Syba, since they are the manufacturer, to see if they would send you replacements? I've actually been in this same boat before with other merchants and their response is always the same "contact the manufacturer for missing parts".

correct me if i'm wrong,
but it looks like you posted a negative review of the hard drive itself, not the enclosure which was missing the cables???
that makes no sense, and is counter-productive to the system of reviews. Now that hard drive (which is not at fault) has a negative review for it because a different product didn't come with the cable you wanted?

What you should have done is call and tell them that you have not received what is described.

Obviously, you're doing something wrong that is causing more problems than not.

I'm a little suspicious anyhow. First post here is complaining about newegg, second or third is talking about directron.

Wow, this thread is full of flaring tempers and pointing fingers.
I don't have anything to add to thread, but everyone could really benefit by just cooling off.

Hello notarat,

I'm sorry to hear you weren't satisfied with this order. Thank you for contacting me about this. The replacement order will be shipping shortly.
Should you have any further questions or concerns do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected] or call me at 1800-390-1119 ext 25062.

Hello notarat,

I'm sorry to hear you weren't satisfied with this order. Thank you for contacting me about this. The replacement order will be shipping shortly.
Should you have any further questions or concerns do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected] or call me at 1800-390-1119 ext 25062.

Yup, those jerks at NewEgg, at it again. :rolleyes:

/sarcasm

Back