• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit BX6 what CPU and Socket adapter to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Temple

I have a BX6 that I want to add a new proc to and so far I am looking at 1000e or a Cel 1000. Also is there a place to pick up these socket adapters anymore? I was also wondering what manufacture to use for the socket adapter? So far I have been looking at the Abit, Solket SL-02A++ and MSI 6905.

Thanks!

What about getting a Slot 1 proc instead of buying the socket adapter and the FC-PGA chip?

Also maybe you can give some bios setting ideas for my future settup? If I was to go with the 1000e with my BX6 rev2 board what do I do with the voltage jummper settings on the socket adapter and what bus speed and clock X should I use?

Thanks bro!

on the slotkit adapters you should only have to set two of the jumpers. on for fcpga and one for voltage auto detect. the bios will then control the voltage

the 1000EB chips are 133 fsb
the 1000E chips are 100fsb

your board is a bx board so it was made for 100fsb chips which is why you want the E chip. E chips also tend to overclock higher. I highly doubt unless you got a miracle bx board that you will hit 133 fsb which is why you want the E processor.

you can get slot one processors but they usually cost a bit more and many of them dont overclock as far.

what your probably looking for is a p3 1000E CDO stepping 1.75V processor. There is also a 1100E out there as well. both are becoming hard to find so you better be ready to buy.

your board will not accept the .13 micron p3 tualatins so do not buy one. you can probably still easily get a 1000 mhz or 1100 mhz celeron .18 micron.

I am now thinking of upgrading my mother board to a Abit BL7.
This way I would get the 4x agp feature and I could use a P4 chip also. Will that board fit my atx case as my bx6 does? Do you know of a good proc for the BL7 board?

Thanks for all of your info!

I'm pretty sure its about the same dimentions as the bx6 2. It is atx form factor so it should fit fine. I'm not an expert on p4's but I would recomend an rdram board like the th7 II.

NO, ABIT's ORIGINAL BX Motherboard is HUGE,
it is almost 1" to 2" wider than the Bx6-R2

I know, I had to return the BX board and paid the premium for
the newly release Bx6-R2 becase the BX is just so FAT

If your case can fit a BX board, it can fit almost anything

One other thing to consider is you may also need to replace your power supply if you are going to a P4. The P4 needs a PS that will supply enough juice to it. Most of the older ATX PS's will not cut it.

Yes I have just baught a new case and psu combo. Not worth buying a new psu when you can get a whole case and psu for the same price. lol...

I went with the 1.6a Northwood. and a MSI 645 Ultra. Hope that this board will not have to many problems. I have heard lots of good but also some bad.

Thanks for your input bro!

Ebola said:
your board is a bx board so it was made for 100fsb chips which is why you want the E chip. E chips also tend to overclock higher. I highly doubt unless you got a miracle bx board that you will hit 133 fsb which is why you want the E processor.

Why am I at 150 FSB on my last two chips with my abit BH6 1.1: P3 600e @ 900, and P3 1000EB/133 @ 1125 mhz?

Most of the BX boards that have /4 PCI dividers can reach 150 FSB. Not sure how stable the BX6-R2 is, although I HAVE seen posts that people were able to overclock farther on a BX6-R2 than on a BE6-2. I actually saw this on my friend's BF6: Kingmax PC150 RAM was totally completely unstable and unusuable at 150 FSB cas 3 (much less cas 2) on the BF6, and even 140 FSB cas 3 (!) wasn't rock solid... the exact same stick, used with the exact same CPU swapped into my BH6 1.1 was rock solid at 144 FSB cas 2-2-2, but 150 FSB needed extra cooling on the motherboard for stability. (funny thing how an Infineon PC100 cas 2 stick was rock solid at 150 FSB cas 3 on the BF6 but newer "higher grade" Kingmax PC150 ram could barely pass 140...hmm...

I have a bx6 r2 also. I want to upgrade it from a PII 300 but from Abits web site it only supports up to a PIII700. You say you have a 1000E huh? Sweet!! No problems or anything right? Just popped it in the slocket the the mobo and it took. Cool. So I guess when Abit says they support up too a 700 that doesn't meen it's the highest the mobo can actually handle. A Cel 900 goes for 63 dollas at newegg. This rules!!!!

I have updated to the latest bios already.
=)

Back