• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MicroCenter Price Match

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krogen

So I've been in a market for a new graphics card for the past few weeks, because my EVGA 260 died on me. I decided I should wait until black Friday, so that way I could perhaps save myself some money.

I noticed there was a deal at Fry's (online) for a Palit GTX 460 768MB for $130 AMIR $20. It has been going on for a few weeks. Not a great deal, not a black friday deal, but either way the price is certainly better than most others out there. When I got to Fry's early in the morning at 5AM today, I was disappointed to find out that they don't have the card, and the other prices are not that great. So much for a black friday. :(

So I decided that I would drive up to MicroCenter not too far away, with the hope they would have some good prices. After waiting an hour and a half in front of the store (it opened at 8AM...) in the freezing cold, I was disappointed to find out that MicroCenter's prices are not that much better. But I found one thing - they had the Palit GTX 460 768MB. It was over $180 on display, a bit too much that I was prepared to pay. I asked the sales associate if they could price match Fry's Electronics, he said he could, but upon walking up to the check out desk, he asked another person if he could price match it, and that guy said it's a no go. His reason was that "it's black friday - it's probably a black friday deal". I told him no, but I guess he decided to ignore me, and that was it for the day.

I'll try going tomorrow, since it won't be black friday anymore. We'll see what happens.

P.S. I also read on another forum that they price match NewEgg and other websites. The sales person told me that they usually don't do that. So much mis-communication. I guess it depends who you ask. :blah:

Why not just buy it on Fry's online?

A few reasons.

Shipping fee and waiting for the thing. I'm spoiled by Amazon's overnight delivery for $3. I was checking the store pickup option but that was unavailable. But that's kind of a given since they don't have it on a shelf at the store.

I also have a Fry's in-store credit for any item for $30, so if I buy something there I really, really want to use it. I can't use it online.

Plus, I was kinda hoping MicroCenter would price match the MIR too, so in the end I would spend $130, and not $150, which would be quite a deal. I hate, hate MIR.

So I've been in a market for a new graphics card for the past few weeks, because my EVGA 260 died on me. I decided I should wait until black Friday, so that way I could perhaps save myself some money.

I noticed there was a deal at Fry's (online) for a Palit GTX 460 768MB for $130 AMIR $20. It has been going on for a few weeks. Not a great deal, not a black friday deal, but either way the price is certainly better than most others out there. When I got to Fry's early in the morning at 5AM today, I was disappointed to find out that they don't have the card, and the other prices are not that great. So much for a black friday. :(

So I decided that I would drive up to MicroCenter not too far away, with the hope they would have some good prices. After waiting an hour and a half in front of the store (it opened at 8AM...) in the freezing cold, I was disappointed to find out that MicroCenter's prices are not that much better. But I found one thing - they had the Palit GTX 460 768MB. It was over $180 on display, a bit too much that I was prepared to pay. I asked the sales associate if they could price match Fry's Electronics, he said he could, but upon walking up to the check out desk, he asked another person if he could price match it, and that guy said it's a no go. His reason was that "it's black friday - it's probably a black friday deal". I told him no, but I guess he decided to ignore me, and that was it for the day.

I'll try going tomorrow, since it won't be black friday anymore. We'll see what happens.

P.S. I also read on another forum that they price match NewEgg and other websites. The sales person told me that they usually don't do that. So much mis-communication. I guess it depends who you ask. :blah:

i work at microcenter.
With the panic of black friday (yea, we didn't even have a good deal and we were swamped) most of the managers are just busy minded and really don't have the time.
We do not price match new egg unless it's a cpu. You should still try, sometimes we will price match it, but if the price is below cost, than we cant.
Go back tomorrow with the ad printed today and you should be pretty good at getting the price match.

I would try talking to a rep at your local Fry's about having the card online ordered with them in store for pickup or something so you can use your $30 in store credit on the purchase.

Albeit if they are anything like BB then it's probably a no go as I was unable to have them preorder a game in store that I was able to preorder online and then after a small snafu and the store being closed on release date I also was not able to cancel my online preorder with the store I had it sent to.

I'm not a big fan of price matching, I think stores should just get rid of them. Lotta stores do low pricing as a bait and switch tactic, so the product is low in stock to begin with. People then go to other stores that "price match" to try and get the same deal.

I'm not a big fan of price matching, I think stores should just get rid of them. Lotta stores do low pricing as a bait and switch tactic, so the product is low in stock to begin with. People then go to other stores that "price match" to try and get the same deal.

Some are going the extra length to make price matching harder by having different product ID # even if the item in question is exactly the same. Walmart usually have WMT at the end of product code. For example, eMachine 6400WMT Other store say "Nope, number don't match" even if they have eMachine 6400 with same spec, same features, same everything except for extra ink used to add "WMT" to the label on the box.

To end the story I ended up going to Fry's and made them pricematch Tiger Direct. (I also have retail Tiger Direct near me) I ended up getting a Galaxy 460GTX 768MB GC for $155. It's not cheap, but I couldn't find any lower prices anywhere (except with MIRs, which I absolutely hate).

I was thinking about what EarthDog said, and I think ~5% performance difference isn't worth the extra $30-$40 for the 1GB card. Plus, the 768MB cards seem to be a bit more overclockable, (got it up to 920MHz core with linked shaders on stock volts...) so in the end I'm quite happy.

Back