• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo fan header current limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GT240

Does anyone know what is the maximum current the CPU fan header and others on a gigabyte board can do?

I used two San Ace H101 fans on one motherboard header before I switched to WC.

EDIT: Which is 1.04 A.

The max amperage will change depending on the motherboard. I'm running two super high speed Delta fans off a single head in my server and I've killed a header with a 0.15A 120mm fan. There is no standard.

The max amperage will change depending on the motherboard. I'm running two super high speed Delta fans off a single head in my server and I've killed a header with a 0.15A 120mm fan. There is no standard.

I found this link

Not sure if its 100%, but why would anyone lie... I'm assuming that's total, for all. Not each..

You may want to shoot them a message to be sure in case anything has changed.

I run three Xigmatek 120mm LED Fans off my one CPU fan header (Fans on my RAD) Done this with atleast three motherboards and not had a problem. I wouldn't dare add any more though.

Not sure if its 100%, but why would anyone lie... I'm assuming that's total, for all. Not each..
Different motherboards could be designed to far exceed others in that area. I'd suggest reading the manual to find the "safe maximum".

It varies too much to make a blanket statement.

Different motherboards could be designed to far exceed others in that area. I'd suggest reading the manual to find the "safe maximum".

It varies too much to make a blanket statement.

I don't think the manual would list this kind of information...

why not be safe and just put a inexpensive fan controller in..i use a 6 port fan controller i got from svc.com and i control the fans,even the video card fan i wired to the fan controller...unless its a small fan for chipset cooling id go with a fan controller,always have...i guess im a wuss too like earthdog too..

why not be safe and just put a inexpensive fan controller in..i use a 6 port fan controller i got from svc.com and i control the fans,even the video card fan i wired to the fan controller...unless its a small fan for chipset cooling id go with a fan controller,always have...i guess im a wuss too like earthdog too..

Because its a CPU fan. I thought the mobo needs to "see" something connected to it so it does not shut down.

No not at all... That is an option set in the BIOS just in case the fan becomes disconnected to avoid any overheating. I don't have anything plugged in my CPU header.

A fan controller would make it adjustable, but I don't have room in my case to do it...

I guess I could lose a DVD burner...

Back