• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeepgc04

Registered
OK it's that time i am using the PC in my sig i buillt it in 2004 and it works but it's that time I know I want to stay Intel and Dual core minimum but would like to stay at near 3ghz and more ram like maybe 4GB I have evrything else but would interested more interested in a barebones sitch..

So whats a solid performer for the money trying to stay under 400.00 for the combo and adding a Video card because i am still running a X800 AGP so that would need to be upped as well as a new PSU

I have a burner, case, HDD, card reader, the usual but now having a 60" flat panel would like to go Multi media on it. I game but not to an extreme level and more like RTS type games I have a wii for the rest.

So please do toss some idea's my way

thanks

you want to upgrade your computer?
and if yes which part you want to change?

Yes it's upgrade time, i was thinking new mobo processor and ram i'll pick a PSU and video card on the side but was looking for a solid combo setup were i can just buy the 3 pcs together at once then I can add as I go

Just have been out of the building scene for too long and tech changes frequently so i would not know shopping if it is solid or not

adding that I have overclocked but am not extreme on that end either

You can get an i7 system 920/930 DO with a motherboard and ram now very reasonable..if you shop around ...
Im an amd guy for many years and decided to try an i7 build for myself and my son..
all i can say is this i7 rig at 3.8 is the fastest most impressive computer ive ever been on..ive been building computers since 1996 all with amd products but a year ago i saved up for months and built the rig in my sig...
with an ssd for the operating system and 2 750 gig wd black hard drives for data you will be knocked over at the speed of these systems..its truly unbelieveable...
waiting for sandy bridge is something to think about but its hard for me to believe that in real world use you would see any difference..maybe in benches a slight difference but what are you talking about ,burning a dvd or cd,video encoding,and have SB be a minute faster..the next upgrade to the i7 920 series will be at the end of next year and its socket 2011...quad channel ram too...
any of the x58 boards will do fine and all perform about the same.ive had 3 and i couldnt see much of a difference except for cooling on the board...
there is no way you can make a mistake by building an i7 system now..prices are good and this is a proven platform that will be very competitive for many years...
im telling you the honest truth these i7 systems are awsome in performance @ stock or o/clocked,so if your budget can stand it try the i7 ....

Back