• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beware of Trendnet rebates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimmyG

Trendnet has started sending out Visa Debit cards for their rebates instead of a check. The problem with this is:

1. Getting a vendor to accept a debit card is sometimes problemantic.
2. You can't use a debit card over the internet.
3. They don't allow you to get cash from an ATM.
4. It takes about 3 months for them to send the rebated debit card.

:mad::mad::mad:

lolz no one ever said getting money back from a company was easy. I always end up buying crap at wal-mart with those cards, because they take almost any card.

A lot of companies are doing this, not just Trendnet. Staples and Verizon do it though Staples still allows you to request a check if you want.

Yeah, its a hassle but if you go out to eat and such like i do then its no biggie.

Most vendors send out a debit card now if rebate is over 20$.Any debit card can be charged as a credit card as long as it has sufficient balance. Part about ATM's is true,but if your bank has a VISA sign you can cash the card with a teller,you will need your ID.

I hate debit card rebates but I deal with them by simply using them SOLELY for gas purchases. Go in, prepay with the full amount of the rebate card, one transaction and done with the card. It's something I buy often enough that I know I'll use the card in short order and I feel good saying fuuuuuuuuuu to companies datamining my purchases on something as simple as a rebate card ;)

i've paid for plenty of stuff online with my personal debit card, is it different with these rebate cards? i've seen them but never used one.

It is a scam to make it even harder for you to get your money back. MadMan007 has a good idea to use it only for gas purchases.

On top of all this it took 3 months to get this dumb debit card.

Check if there is an expiration date on the card received. I wouldn't be surprised if there is, like Gift cards that expire after X amount of time from purchase/activation. All in hopes that the company doesn't have to pay out the money.

I'm waiting on a rebate from Epson of $200 right now. Has me wondering now if it will be a check (they do mention check a few times) or plastic.

i've paid for plenty of stuff online with my personal debit card, is it different with these rebate cards? i've seen them but never used one.

Similarly, our company purchases literally hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and supplies online annually from dozens of vendors using a debit card, and I personally order online constantly using my own debit card and have never had an issue.

I'd think that a debit card would be preferable to a check; use it at your bank to do a direct deposit to your account for the full amount and you don't have to wait 6 weeks for the check to clear...

Similarly, our company purchases literally hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and supplies online annually from dozens of vendors using a debit card, and I personally order online constantly using my own debit card and have never had an issue.

I'd think that a debit card would be preferable to a check; use it at your bank to do a direct deposit to your account for the full amount and you don't have to wait 6 weeks for the check to clear...

It is only preferable to a check if you can actually cash it. It depends on your bank.

My problem is that for low value rebates (~ $10) it is difficult to actually buy anything with it.

You can't get much for $10 these days.

Ehh, then you pay with both. If its a $15 item you pay $10 on rebate card, and the rest in cash/or your debit.

A lot of companies are doing this, not just Trendnet. Staples and Verizon do it though Staples still allows you to request a check if you want.

I recently got a visa debit card from a Verizon rebate. Took it to the bank and deposited it directly in my account just like as if I got a check. I don't know if this is Verizon only or if you can do this with all Visa Debit cards now? The verizon mailer it came with specifically mentioned you could do this.

People just do not read the rebate T&C Oh and every prepaid debit can be cashed. If it says VISA, you need a bank with a VISA logo. If it says MASTERCARD...guess what the bank needs to have? :)

People just do not read the rebate T&C Oh and every prepaid debit can be cashed. If it says VISA, you need a bank with a VISA logo. If it says MASTERCARD...guess what the bank needs to have? :)

Cool. I was not aware of that before, and always played the game of "can you please just ring up $5.38 on this card, and X.XX on this card, and ..."

Its definitely much easier to deposit it like a check into your bank account.

Back