• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help, no clue with this problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goldtna

Not sure if this even is a mother board issue but it's my strongest suspicion.

So the problem is, every time I shut down the computer, I can't turn it back on in the first try. To turn it on, I would turn on the power switch like normal, then the computer seems to turn on (all fan sounds in the tower sounds normal) but nothing would show up on any of my 3 screens that's run off of 2 video cards. All 3 screens show "no signal" type status.

To actually turn on my computer, I hit the power button wait like 8 seconds to confirm that nothing is showing up on screens, then I just have to hit the rest button and it boots up normally and the screens all turn on. I can also hold the power switch down and force turn the comp off then turn it back on and it works too.

System specs:
ASUS P6T
i7 920
3x2GB OCZ 1800mhz
Corsair 750W
sapphire HD3850 and HD5750

So I normally have this things OC'd to ~4ghz, but since this problem started getting more and more frequent (now 100% of the time), I started to bring that down. Even at 3ghz the problem is still present. Ram speed is maintained at between 1500 and 1600MHz. It doesn't seem to be an OC issue since ASUS BIOS does not detect OC issue. When I have an OC issue that forces an instability, the ASUS BIOS usually tells me.

Anyone have any clue what's going on?

Dude!!! I thought I was going crazy, I have this exact same problem, and have a very similar setup to yours (see sig below).

Mine happens when I put the computer into hibernate mode. After coming out of hibernate mode, everything sounds like it's working (fans etc.) but the screens are black. I have to turn off then on, then off, then on again--that's right, only after the third time I turn it on does it work. It did not do this before, only when I started using hibernate in the last 8 months or so.

If anyone could help, I'd be much obliged. I was leaning toward a software issue given that this only happens when I do a certain function, and everything seems to work well other than that...

AFAIK hibernate and c-states and overclocking doesn't always mix well. Even if your BIOS isn't telling you its unstable doesnt mean it isnt.

Have you tried memtest and running prime95 blends on your system for extended periods of time?

Also, disable virtualization in the bios if you haven't as well. Sometimes that can force the double-pump effect which is your bios rebooting 2x just to turn on.. not saying it will fix anything, but it couldnt hurt to try.

Also again! Does your system do this under stock settings with default bios (except for ram timings set manually)

AFAIK hibernate and c-states and overclocking doesn't always mix well. Even if your BIOS isn't telling you its unstable doesnt mean it isnt.

Have you tried memtest and running prime95 blends on your system for extended periods of time?

Also, disable virtualization in the bios if you haven't as well. Sometimes that can force the double-pump effect which is your bios rebooting 2x just to turn on.. not saying it will fix anything, but it couldnt hurt to try.

Also again! Does your system do this under stock settings with default bios (except for ram timings set manually)

The system does this from a full shut down so the problem I am referring to should not have anything to do with hibernation or sleep state instabilities. I have ran memtest and prime95 (all 3 tests) for extended periods of time. The system does this with "almost" stock settings. i.e. I backed off my OC from +1.3Ghz to only a +0.3Ghz and the system still did this regardless of stock voltages or slightly raised voltage. I'll check this virtualization thing out. Thanks for the tip.

Back