• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wally's double dippin'!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wa11y

Senior Thread Hijacker
I'm looking for a slot 1 motherboard for an P3 500 I have. I know the slot 1s are getting rare. But I need to know what's a good board/chipset. As far as I know, the processor will only do 100MHz FSB, but I'm using Crucial PC133 SDRAM. So I wouldn't mind doing some overclocking. But thus far, all my overclocking knowledge is with AMDs. Since they're cheaper.

I currently have my PIII 500 running on a piece of crap Intel board from an old HP computer. It has a Matrox G200 on-board, and no AGP slots, so I can't throw my spare GeForce 2 MX400 in there. Basically, it's crap, and I want better. On-board sound would be a plus, since I don't wanna get a new sound card for it.

One caveat: I'm running Mandrake Linux 8.0 on this box. So it's got to be a board/chipset/on-board sound that Linux supports. But I doubt that'll be a problem.

Only An Opinion - Please Don't Holler

As I said this is only my opinion, actually more my observation, but I have not experienced any problems with my Abit BE6-II. I've run PIII-450s which were Slot 1s as well as various Celeron and CeleronIIs up to and including a CeleronII-700 Engineering Sample all of which were used with an Abit Slotket III. The 700 was run at [email protected] for close to a year with no complaints, with 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP Pro, and a couple versions of Mandrake.

I realize it doesn't fill your requirement of onboard sound, but for next to nothing you can get a PCI soundcard that is far better than the onboard sound you will find on any Slot 1 motherboard, since onboard sound is only now starting to come up to the level of moderately priced soundcards.

Hope it gives you something to think about.

Thanks for that. I'm actually bidding on an Asus P3V4X on ebay right now. I tried looking for an IWill VD133, Asus P3BF, and ABit BH6, but none were to be found. Such is the drawback to looking for older technology such as Slot 1 mobos.

The P3V4X doesn't have on-board sound either. I'll just get a cheap Soundcard. I just wanted on-board for the convenience. But such is the way of things, neh?

Yeah, I'd go for the ABit BE6 or BE6-II. I havent had any actual experience with the board, but I'm trying to get one myself. Heard nothing else but its a great board-especially for o/cing. I'm in the process of getting one. That will take about a week or so. If I got it sooner I would tell you that it's an excellent board ( hopefully ). :D

Back