• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-73UM-S2h and Intel E2140 - possible to overclock with these?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eoren1

I'm running the above as an HTPC and am having a tough time keeping up with h264 coded movies (esp blueray quality). Bought a graphics card to help [GIGABYTE GV-R455HM-512I Radeon HD 4550 Supporting up to 512MB(128MB 64-bit GDDR3 onboard) PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card] and saw some benefit. Was now thinking of overclocking the CPU.

I read one review of the motherboard that suggested it could not be overclocked and read here that the E2140 was very amenable to higher clock speeds. Below is a copy/paste of my motherboard's manual regarding adjust the FSB. Greatly appreciate your thoughts on what parameters to play with to get more out of my system.

Thanks in advance!
E

MB from manual:
Parameters/ Setting/ Current Value
Displays the following CPU and memory speed. Setting shows the value you manually adjust; Current Value shows the current operating frequency.

Current CPU Freq, MHz
Displays the CPU speeds.

FSB-Memory Clock Mode
Auto BIOS will automatically set the FSB-Memory clock mode. (Default)
Linked Allows you to set FSB speed manually; the memory speed changes proportionally along with the FSB speed.
Unlinked Allows you to set FSB speed and memory speed individually.

FSB-Memory Ratio
This item is configurable only if the FSB-Memory Clock Mode option is set to Linked.
Auto
1:1
5:4
3:2
Sync Mode Sets FSB-Memory ratio synchronously.

CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) Allows you to manually set the CPU host frequency. This item is configurable only if the FSB- Memory Clock Mode option is set to Linked or Unlinked. The adjustable range is from 100 MHz to 650 MHz.
For an 800 MHz FSB CPU, set this item to 200 MHz.
For a 1066 MHz FSB CPU, set this item to 266 MHz.
For a 1333 MHz FSB CPU, set this item to 333 MHz.
Important It is highly recommended that the CPU frequency be set in accordance with the CPU specifications.

Actual CPU Clock (Mhz) The value depends on the CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) setting.

Memory Frequency (Mhz) This item is configurable only if the FSB-Memory Clock Mode option is set to Unlinked. The first frequency value is adjustable and the second is the current operating frequency of your memory. The adjustable range is from 400 MHz to 1400 MHz.

Actual Memory Clock (Mhz) The value depends on the CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) and Memory Frequency (Mhz) settings.

Robust Graphics Booster Robust Graphics Booster (R.G.B.) helps to enhance the performance of the graphics chip and memory. Auto allows the BIOS to automatically set the R.G.B. mode based on system configurations. Options are: Auto (default), Fast, Turbo.

CPU Clock Ratio (Note) Allows you to alter the clock ratio for the installed CPU. The item is present only if a CPU with unlocked clock ratio is installed. Normal CPU Vcore Displays the normal operating voltage of your CPU.

Either post a direct link to your specific RAM, or post a pic. of CPU-Z open to the SPD tab showing rated timings and voltage. Also post the available options under the Memory Timing Setting sub-menu. And without any voltage options / adjustments, don't expect much in the way of an overclock.

Thanks for the posts.
Looks like my board can use Gigabyte's Easy Tune software to overclock. Will post shots of the current hardware and further questions when I get home and have a chance to play with it.
E

Man, you guys got far better Allendales than I have thus far, if you manage 3.4GHz out of stock volts... any I'd dealt with hit brick walls right at the 3GHz mark with stock voltage. Regardless, that's a heck of a gain over 1.6GHz, which is easily the E2140's failing - low stock clock speed. Even if you manage only 3.0 GHz in the end, that's still a whole lot faster than stock!

i had the same CPU a year or 2 back. With the same board in my sig. I hit 3.2ghz with stock voltage. Not sure your mobo will support a good OC. but its worth a try.

Loaded the Easy Tune program and the only parameter I could play with was the FSB. Looks like I'm out of luck with this board. Will wait another year and replace the combo...

Thanks
E

Loaded the Easy Tune program and the only parameter I could play with was the FSB. Looks like I'm out of luck with this board. Will wait another year and replace the combo...

Thanks
E

Did you up the FSB?

No
Didn't think it was worth it...
If you think I should I can go ahead and play

Back