• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA x58-SLI3 versus GIGABYTE x58a-UD3R board.. (i have both lol which to use)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klumzyee

Registered
Heres what I originally put together almost a year ago

i7-920
Corsair 1000watt
GTX280
gigabyte x58a ud3r
500gb caviar black and a 1tb caviar black

then I had a dumb problem which I couldnt figure out (go through thread history and you can read it) in the end it was fixed by getting a graphics card (again yes the RMA one failed with the same problem?!) but now everythings all god but this wasn't before i bought a bunch of extra parts so now I'm going to just make a 2nd rig and give it to someone as a nice xmas gift or something below are all the parts I have and what I'm thinking about pairing it with but my only question is

the EVGA board has a much much faster boot time then the GIGABYTE however it only has 1 16x slot

I know what the gigabyte board can do since thats what I've originally had.. I obviously want the i7-930 to be the board with the better bios

(will need to buy a 2nd CPU) i7-930 w/Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cooler
*GIGABYTE x58a-ud3r
*Corsair HX1000 watt
*6GB G.Skill PI Series 3x2GB 1600 Cas Latency 7
(will need to buy)MSI 1GB GTX460
*4x 500GB Caviar Black RAID10
*in a Zalman GS1000 Plus

*i7-920 w/Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cooler
*EVGA X58 SLI3
Corsair MX850 watt
*6GB G.Skill 3x2GB 1600 Cas Latency 9
*EVGA 1GB GTX280
(need to buy)1TB Caviar Black
(need to buy)in a NZXT LEXA S

* = I have collecting dust.

Have you tried enabling quick boot through the smart tpm program, and then enabling it in bios as well?

Both are great little boards. I personally like eVGA better (due to their ELEET OC software... but that's just me). I have/have had many boards from both manufacturer's and they both produce top notch hardware. Even though I prefer eVGA, I currently have a gigabyte taking up space on my benching rig, while my evga boards sit on the shelf.

You can't return some of that hardware?

It's really a toss up between the two. The X8 PCIe slot will not hinder SLI GTX460's (if that is a future possibility) And you've really got the PSU's overkilled a bit :D... but better to have it then not have it ;) On another note: I would keep the 920 (if it's a D0) as it's a better processor.

Back