• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Read the rules - No for sale section?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigben6

Am I missing it, is it hidden until a certain post count? I'm confused, or is there just NOT a for sale section?

100 posts and you have to have an ISP email registered here to gain access.

Its also in the forum rules you and likely 90% of all other members (including myself) clicked through upon registration! :p

I dont think that will change anything.. use it, and then update it when you move awy from school and get your internet hooked up.

But no, you cant browse until your reach that post requirement and have the proper email. You may have to contact a moderator to gain access when you change to a proper email.

There are many reasons OCF's classifieds are considered one of the safest on the net, and much of it is due to this ;)

So we can't even browse through before then? I don't want to use my school email because I'll lose access to it when I graduate.

I highly suggest you familiarize yourself with the rules before you gain access, otherwise it could be a short stay. We have one of the safest classified forums out there and there's a very good reason for that.

You can find the rules HERE

Cannot read them yet, due to post count I assume....

:rofl:

Yep. I love it how everyone, even people relatively new to these forums say "you better read the rules" or you'll be booted. All it takes is common sense and a little respect and understanding of the site's position in relation to the business you conduct using it. There's a few small things we ask and if you follow them you're fine. It isn't that big of a deal. You can easily change your email when your school one becomes invalid also. (It's just your email in your vBulletin user CP)

I completely agree with the above here, I trust the classifieds here 10X more than ebay... we have a good group of people here. Lurk around the forum a bit, ask good questions, help others when you have done your research and know the answer or have personal expirence etc... become known, and familar. Hell I remember when Earthdog joined, now look at him, all in blue, I'm so proud lol :clap:

Let's make this easy. Here is the current copy of the rules from the link referenced. Enjoy. ;)

MUST READ - Classifieds Rules - Last Edit: 8/29/2010
Classifieds Rules and Guidelines

Table of Contents:
Rules Introduction
General Rules
Warez, Crackz, and Copyrighted Material
Regarding Dibs
Regarding promises of pictures
Email Policy
Verification
Frequently Asked Questions
Trading Guidelines, Tips, and Etiquette
In Closing

Rules Introduction
-----------------------------

Welcome to the www.Overclockers.com Classifieds.

We hope sincerely that you will enjoy your time here and that all your dealings will go smooth and without incident, in order to assure we ask that you adhere to the following rules and guidelines. If you have any questions regarding this please feel free to contact the Staff.

Classifieds Rules

These rules are subject to change without notice; please make sure to stay up to date with them as best you can.

1. YOU MUST LIST SELLING PRICE IN AD AND ITEM FOR SALE MUST BE "IN-HAND" AND READY TO SHIP UPON RECEIPT OF PAYMENT! Selling someone else's item is ok as long as it is in YOUR hands.
  2. ALL ITEMS BEING SOLD MUST BE READY TO SHIP ONCE PAYMENT IS MADE
    The penalty for violating this rule MAY result in loss of Classifieds privileges
  3. Regarding Email addresses, please see Email Policy heading below.
  4. Absolutely NO warez selling, discussion, trading, or posting will be allowed Violations/Violators will be dealt with accordingly. This also includes pirated software, and that of a questionable nature. Clarification is here.
  5. Please make sure you post in the proper forum, in order to make it easier for someone to find what they are searching for. Posts not within the proper forum will be moved accordingly, please let’s just make sure we are posting in the proper forum to begin with.
  6. Please do not use the Classifieds as a place to share others' personal information. Such as trolls and etc. There are appropriate websites with which to deal with such things.
  7. Any Ads for items for Sale or Wanted, posted in the General Forums will be deleted on sight. Anyone caught doing this a second time, will have their posting privileges suspended for three days. If, upon return from suspension, a third infraction of this rule occurs, you will be permanently banned from the Forums.
  8. All price negotiating must be done via PM. Doing it in-thread is considered threadcrapping and is against our rules.
  9. NO Commercial Ads of ANY KIND! Any such ads will be deleted at once and the violator locked out of the Classifieds permanently!
    Links to outside Classifieds, Ebay or other "auction" sites etc. are forbidden.
  10. Overclockers.com assumes no responsibility for any bad deals. Buy/trade/sell at your own risk!!!!
  11. We have decided against allowing "Group Buy" type transactions, please do not post them, as thoughtful as they might be to offer others, it can easily turn into a logistical nightmare, and even a liability of sorts. sorry, but "Group buys" are not allowed.
  12. Absolutely NO Software Ads of ANY kind will be allowed! Any Ads containing Software for Sale/Trade/Want will be deleted on sight. Anyone posting Software Ads in the Classifieds, after previously being warned about this by the overclockers.com Staff, will be locked out of the Classifieds permanently! Refer here for questions about selling games or license keys.
  13. Do not edit items or price out of your initial post once the item sells or is no longer available for sale. Edit in any additional info, price drops, availability, etc...but the original post must otherwise remain intact with the price the item sold for.
  14. Sellers and items are verified, to ensure that they exist and they aren't trying to scam you. These are the extensive verification rules.
  15. When your sale thread is complete, move the thread to the "SOLD!" subforum. This is done by clicking on thread tools at the top right of the thread, then selecting "move thread". This keeps the classifieds clean and helps everyone involved find or sell their gear.
  16. Calling Dibs is perfectly acceptable, just be prepared for what you're getting into.
  17. There are some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) that come up. Here are some questions and answers.
  18. Do not promise to post pictures and forget about said promise. We have rules for that, too.
  19. It is against our Classified rules to ask for the buyer to cover PayPal fees, as well as being against the PayPal TOS. Asking for the buyer to cover the PayPal fees will not be tolerated in the Classified Areas.

Return to Top

Warez, Crackz, and Copyrighted Material;

This is to clarify the position of this site regarding Warez information and warez sites, Crackz and information about crackz, and the posting and downloading of copyrighted material.

Overclockers prohibits the promotion of, and reference to, any program or website which contains or distributes Warez, Crackz, and pirated copyrighted material, including but not limited to music and video.

Discussion of Warez, crackz, and pirated copyrighted material is not permitted in this forum. Any offer to provide or request to receive warez, crackz, and bootleg material will be deleted without notice and the offender will be warned. A repeat offense is grounds for permanent dismissal, without recourse, from these forums.

This is a serious issue for this Forum. Allowing discussion of and, by extension condoning the distribution of, said information jeopardizes the very existence of this Forum. As such, it will not be tolerated. For the long-term future of this site, please abide by this rule.

Return to Top

Regarding Dibs

• If you post 'Dibs' on any item you are agreeing to buy it and must have the funds at that moment. Payment arrangements must be made within 24 hours of the seller sending you a PM or email, otherwise you lose dibs. If a buyer and seller then agree on XX period of time before payment, that's fine. But calling dibs obligates you to purchase the product and to do so in a reasonable amount of time. Dibs is "I AM BUYING THIS, THANK YOU", not "I'm kind of interested."
  • If you post dibs on an item, its yours. So you better be careful in the future because we are cracking down and the penalty for repetitive backing out after calling dibs is a vacation from the classifieds.
  • We leave it up to the seller to be honest and to sell it to the first person that posted dibs via post in the sales thread, the timestamp of the post delegates who gets the item. If we find out you're not following this procedure as the seller, your time in the Classifieds will be short lived.
  • "Conditional" dibs are not permitted. This includes "dibs pending some questions," "dibs pending whether or not my wife says it's ok," and "dibs if my dog starts talking in Chinese." Saying "I'm interested, but xxx" is a CONDITIONAL dibs, and that's ok, as long as you realize that an unconditional dibs will win out 100% of the time, regardless of who posted first.
  • RE: Dibs on items that have a +Shipping cost associated with them: You should call dibs with the expectation that it's going to cost you a reasonable sum. Generally no more than $20 at the extremes.

If you need help with the estimates:
    http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm
    http://www.theupsstore.com/qcc/qcc.asp
    http://fedex.com/ratefinder/home

When it comes to shipping outside of the seller's home country, then it really becomes a matter of taking a place in line. You can't possibly know if someone is willing to ship to Canada or the UK, so you have to say something to the effect of "dibs pending seller's shipping range" so that it is clear to all viewing the thread (especially mods) that you are asking if the seller doesn't mind shipping to whatever country, and that you are willing to pay his asking price. Period. If the seller says no, then you can update the thread and the seller can move on down the list.
  • Clarification on Dibs outside a seller's home country:
    Example:
    Billybob sells a videocard. Both Jack (in another country) and Tom (in the seller's country) want the card:

Scenario A:
    Jack calls dibs pending shipping range, Tom yells dibs shortly after Jack. The seller is supposed to give Jack priority in the sale. The seller can tell Jack "no, I won't ship to Jumanji, sorry" and then Tom is next in line. If Billybob tells Jack no, and then someone later in line is from Jumanji and Billybob suddenly changes his mind and says Jumanji is cool to ship to, he needs to call Jack and tell him what's going on and offer it to him first. If I find out that Billybob has played favortism and suddenly changed the location, I might want to have a chat with Billybob.

Scenario B:
    Tom calls dibs and Jack calls it afterwards, pending shipping range. The seller is supposed to give Tom priority, and if Tom backs out, Jack is then next in line and Scenario A occurs.

Return to Top

Regarding promises of pictures

The trend of folks posting and stating in PMs that they will post pics etc. at a certain time/date without following through is over.

As of now, anyone who posts or makes a statement via PM to a mod that they will do/post something at such-and-such time/date without following through will be barred from the Classifieds for no less than a month and the thread removed.

Return to Top

Email Policy

We have eliminated the use of Gmail and every other generic e-mail in OCforum Classified user's profiles. We will be allowing ISP e-mails, .edu and .gov only. Anyone that does not update their profile to one of those will not be using the classifieds. The users can hide their E-mails in their profiles so it is visible to the Staff only.

If you do not have an approved email address on file, you will not be permitted to use our Classifieds.

If for some reason you are unable to use a ISP based e-mail, .Edu or .Gov, please contact a Classifieds Moderator and we will see if your circumstance is reason enough to make an exception.

Reasons such as these below will result in us telling you NO, an exception will not be made:

• My parents won't allow me
  • Does this rule apply to me, I've been here for a long time
  • I own my own domain, can I use that e-mail
We will possibly allow exceptions based on situations like these:
  • I am abroad and my situation is unique
  • My school does not use a .Edu, we use a .com or .net
  • A member is on the road and has no static ISP

--------------

usarmy.gif
usmc.gif
usnavy.gif
uscg.gif
usaf.gif

ALL servicemen are exempt from the Classified e-mail rules regarding providing a ISP, .Gov or .EDU

Just let me know the generic email you wish to use and I will add you to the exception list once I have validated your active duty. This can easily be done by sending ME-INSERT SAM'S NEW EMAIL a quick e-mail from your .MIL provider. After this is validated, you can use G-Mail or any other e-mail you choose. We at Overclockers.com appreciate all you are doing for your Country and we want to make it easier for all of you.

-THIS EXEMPTION IS ONLY FOR ARMED FORCES ACTIVE DUTY MEMBERS-

Return to Top

Verification

The Classifieds mods reserve the right to Verify all seller's merchandise, we start the process with -PM sent for item verification-

Once we are satisfied the seller has the merchandise we edit the post to read -Item verified- or -Seller verified-

You can take a digital Pic, use a Scanner, take a regular photo and bring it to a copy center and for a dollar they will digitize it for you; a coin or something with your name and OCForums on it is required in the picture. Sometimes we will offer the option of calling the seller on the phone and getting their Phone number, Address and then compare it to known Troll hot-sheets we use. (This personal information is not shared, and remains in a 1024 bit encrypted database)

The whole point of putting something unique in the picture with the item is so we know that person has that particular object in their possession, and didn't just grab a picture off of Newegg or something.

The best thing to do is hand write your OC name and "OC-Forums" on something (piece of paper, old cd...). That sounds pretty simple, and is excellent to verify that the member actually has the item and that it looks like it does in the pic.

You can cross reference the SOLD section (I suggest you use the Search>Sellers name>SOLD)

For seller or buyers' Trading history, I strongly recommend you sign up for Heatware, and link it in your SIG.

Overclockers.com cooperates with Law enforcement and we take Trolls a little more seriously than most Forums.....If you're a Troll, you're definitely in the Wrong forum to be scamming people.

The Mods and Admins also work with Other Forums like Trollhunters.com and PCA to share data.(ALL INFORMATION USED IN VERIFICATION IS NOT SHARED WITH ANYONE)

We reserve the right to re-verify any member or piece of merchandise at any time.

Return to Top

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why can't we sell software or games here? I've got the box and key!
A: Because you can still easily pirate the game or use the key yourself. We do every possible thing we can to protect the buyer and seller, and allowing the sale of software would cause major problems.

Q: I have a console game I want to sell, and I'm selling the console, am I still not allowed to sell the game?
A: You may only sell games with their associated console. PC Game sales are completely forbidden. You cannot sell a game under any circumstances without a console (PS3 game sells with a PS3, Wii game sells with a Wii, so on and so forth).

Q: I just got ripped off, what do I do?
A: PM a Classifieds moderator if you believe you may have been ripped off.

Q: I don't have any way to provide a picture of my item, and I don't have and can't get a verified Paypal address, can I still sell here?
A: In most cases, no, we verify every seller. In some cases, we have some other means of verification, but these are rare. Please contact a Classifieds mod if you need further assistance.

Q: Can I list my eBay auction in the Classifieds?
A: No, and you will be banned if you do so.

Q: I live in [country], so that makes it hard to deal with U.S. Classifieds sellers, why don't we have a [country] Classifieds forum?
A: It would be unfair to make a separate Classifieds for one country and not another. It would also be a moderating nightmare. If you want people from your country to see your ad more easily, you can put something such as: "Canadians, Radeon 9800 Pro for sale."

Q: I'm selling my entire computer, which forum do I sell it in?
A: You can sell it in Misc.

Q: I have a suggestion for the Classifieds, how do I make myself heard?
A: First, run a search in Classifieds Comments and Suggestions to see if your idea has been discussed before. If it hasn't, you can make your own thread in Comments and Suggestions. Mods frequently check this forum, and many members can answer questions.

Q: I want to auction something, can I do that?
A: No, that's what eBay is for.

Q: I have a lot of great eBay feedback, can that be used for verification?
A: No.

Return to Top

Trading Guidelines, Tips, and Etiquette

1. Be honest, be honest, be honest. Enhance this with total clarity and be sure the other trader(s) have the same understanding of a deal’s particulars.
  2. Clearly represent your exact product or offering, be sure to include any cosmetic or functional problems. Check your thread for responses frequently or let others know how best to contact you.
  3. Make sure any item you ship is well packaged and preferably use a shipping means which carries insurance and tracking. Some shipping tips:
    a - Always use order confirmation when sending via USPS. For any item sent via Priority Mail it is only .40 cents. That way you can always see when the item has been delivered. Include a card of some sort listing the sender’s and recipient’s address information INSIDE the package

b - Use anti-static packaging to contain any sensitive computer parts.

c - When sending breakable items, use plenty of good padding on each side.

d - Use block caps in addresses, avoid punctuation, and leave 2 spaces between state and zip code. Use a ZIP+4 code whenever possible.​
  4. There are NO excuses for being late or unable to fulfill a deal. Occasionally, there might be a legitimate REASON, but never an excuse.
  5. Always honor your word.
  6. Post a price for the item(s) you may be selling. This is not an auction site! Further, should someone meet your asking price or trade offer, you are obliged to make the deal and not quibble for more.
  7. Promptly communicate with the other party at the different stages of the deal, i.e. when the money is received, when you ship the package, and a follow-up email to see if the trade is satisfactory. IT IS A VERY GOOD IDEA to use the same email by just replying each time. Be sure to identify yourself from the start with your Username, and your real name. This avoids a lot of confusion.
  8. Trader references for many can be found at Heatware Check to see if the person you are trading with is listed and read any feedback. In addition to the HeatWare ratings check you should ask for references, use the search>classifieds>SOLD to check other posts by the trader, check with other reputable traders for additional info. Trust your gut instinct on close calls. Once you complete a trade, add your feedback to HeatWare and post a comment in the Sold section so others might benefit from your experience. Post the bad as well as the good!
  9. Get a phone number, and talk to them over the phone (if needed). It’s a lot harder to be taken advantage of when you have their phone number, and it also makes it easier to find a person that violates.
  10. Please, update your thread when an item is gone and state to whom it went.
  11. Stick to the terms of the Deal!!! Avoid becoming a trader that gets involved in misunderstandings. Don’t try to do so many trades that you cannot give proper attention to each deal.
  12. Make a printed copy of the deal and save it until the transaction is complete. This will prevent confusion and prevent the problem of lost information due to a crashed system.
  13. If you’re going put up a WTB thread, be prepared to pay a little more.
  14. If you make an offer of goods or cash, be positive you will be able to deliver same in a timely manner within the framework of the deal. Postponed delivery of any cash or goods should be arranged on the frontside of the deal, not after one party has shipped!
  15. Try to conduct yourselves as gentlemen and ladies here. If you have no interest in purchasing an item someone is selling, do not interfere with the sale by posting ridicule or derogatory remarks.
  16. In line with the above, TRY VERY HARD to resolve any issues relevant to your trades away from this board and preferably by PM or email. Occasionally, things can happen beyond one’s control which might cause suspicion or misunderstanding. Please don’t have an itchy finger when you suspect a misdeed. Make every effort to resolve the issue by confidential communications before decrying the situation publicly!! Misunderstandings posted on the board can cause undeserved damage to BOTH traders’ credibility.
  17. MARK YOUR ITEM WITH A BLACK LIGHT PEN, This will alleviate any switching from a dishonest buyer swapping your functional item with their DEAD item that's the same. http://www.alltronics.com/Light_Sources.htm
  18. *No Dealers are allowed / No commercial ads

*Vendors that are advertisers at this site may use the Classifieds.
  19. Only post your item for sale once. Update your post with the “edit” button if necessary. Multiple For Sale threads will be merged, and multiple infractions of this may result in a vacation from the Classifieds.
  20. You must post a price, unless it’s a “Trade Only” in which case you must state your terms for a trade. All trade only items should be placed in the Wanted section.
  21. Do us all a favor and say where you will ship, so we can avoid, “Will you ship to Canada, etc.”
  22. When the Item sells please mark the thread as sold, and move the thread to the Sold forum. Do not delete the text in your first post, simply put SOLD at the very top, then move it to Sold.
  23. If a price is agreed upon by both parties the item is sold, and money should exchange hands with in 24 hours, unless other terms were agreed upon.
  24. Do not back out of a purchase, for any reason. You made the deal, now keep your word.

Return to Top

In Closing

Questions may be sent to any of the Classifieds mods, or posted in Classifieds Comments and Suggestions. Anything in this thread can be fully enforced as a rule at any time. All rules are subject to change without notice.

Active Mods are listed here in Staff Status thread.

By posting in this Forum you agree that you have read and understand the rules as set forth above. Violations will not be tolerated!

Thanks,

Overclockers.com Forum Management

Return to Top

I switched my email to my work .edu email, but i will read the rules, im assuming its pretty straight forward.... ill behave, i just dont wanna troll my way to 100 posts, but i feel like i kinda have to... doing my best not to just spam...

Just keep the posts informative/helpful. Don't spam up the boards and you'll do fine. Before you know it you'll have 100 posts under your belt and the gates will open up to you ;)

Just keep the posts informative/helpful. Don't spam up the boards and you'll do fine. Before you know it you'll have 100 posts under your belt and the gates will open up to you ;)

Doing my best. I've got a mash up of old hardware from about 3-5 years ago and am trying to figure out what I want to do for an upgrade. I'm spending a lot of time reading, but toss my two cents in here and there. I'm hoping to make some changes in the middle of January to my system, and hoping to hit the classifieds before then.

Welcome to the forums. :welcome:

With that out of the way, the rules state to post in the proper section. You can reference the rules and other useful information for using our website here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/announcement.php?f=78&a=65

At the very top of the forum you posted in, there is a public notice which reads as follows:

O/Community This forum is intended for community related topics - welcoming new members, social threads like sharing our pictures, as well as helpful tips and info regarding forum usage. Look at existing thread titles to get an idea of what is appropriate in this section! Hardware and Software related topics should be started in the relevant forums for those topics and will be removed by staff if posted in this O/Community forum.

Forum feedback is the appropriate location for questions regarding the site and features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back