• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rampage III Formula VS P6X58D Premium opinions plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Ignoring the price difference of 30ish dollars

how do you guys like the Rampage III Formula vs the X58D Premium from ASUS?

Last edited:
If on your place, i would buy R3E. The prices are almost the same, the difference in mobos are that R3E overclocks slightly better. It has NF200 and sli/crossfire works better.
Both have USB 3.0 and everything else is very similar, so there is no big difference between them two. :)

R3E cost way more than the Formula... ;)

To answer the OP, whichever you want. Both will reach your overclocking needs we hav determined from your many other threads on this build.

R3E cost way more than the Formula... ;)

To answer the OP, whichever you want. Both will reach your overclocking needs we hav determined from your many other threads on this build.

Ok. So I shouldn't go all out and maybe get like a Gigabyte UD7 eh?

I'm concerned about the northbridge running too hot when I overclock the board..

At very least I'll get the RIIIF.

Its up to you and your wallet, the point I want to make is that you dont NEED a $300 board to accomplish 4Ghz(ish) overclocks.

Its up to you and your wallet, the point I want to make is that you dont NEED a $300 board to accomplish 4Ghz(ish) overclocks.

The UD7 is the same dimensions LxW as the ASUS R3F and X58D-premium right?
I really like the board. I realize it isn't needed to OC a 950 to 4Ghz but I want to upgrade to the newer 6 core later, as well as do a very high over clock. I also like the reliability of having 24 phases, Ultra Durable, the better ground layer... etc.. but I've only ever built with Asus boards so I'm kinda unsure.. If nobody's ever had a problem with the R3F the way there were with the R3E initially I might just grab it.

CHIME*

I work with countless motherboards over countless hours and in general, most of them are a pain in the ***.

The Rampage III Formula is one of the few motherboards I recommend. It offers stable operation, an excellent layout, overclocks like a champ and in general, I like working with it.

You know which other budget X58 board I liked? The Biostar T-Power. It's crazy, but you work with a lot of boards and fine a weird gem here and there that you'd never had thought was any good before hand.

The UD7 is the same dimensions LxW as the ASUS R3F and X58D-premium right?
I really like the board. I realize it isn't needed to OC a 950 to 4Ghz but I want to upgrade to the newer 6 core later, as well as do a very high over clock. I also like the reliability of having 24 phases, Ultra Durable, the better ground layer... etc.. but I've only ever built with Asus boards so I'm kinda unsure.. If nobody's ever had a problem with the R3F the way there were with the R3E initially I might just grab it.
I hear you, but you dont NEED any of that is the point.

Most mobo's now will support a hex so no worries there.

24 phases, you dont even need 12. You arent breaking any records or extreme cooling so...

RIIIF is a solid choice, along with anything else that suits your needs. Get the best you can afford!

I hear you, but you dont NEED any of that is the point.

Most mobo's now will support a hex so no worries there.

24 phases, you dont even need 12. You arent breaking any records or extreme cooling so...

RIIIF is a solid choice, along with anything else that suits your needs. Get the best you can afford!

Should I worry that the Mushkin ram I bought is not on the QVL for the R3F?

Sorry for being so annoying.

You arent being annoying at all. ;)

Naa, I wouldnt be worried. That list is just stuff they TESTED, that doesnt mean it wont work.

I wouldn't worry personally.
Ram on the QVL list is guaranteed to work (assuming nothing is dead), ram not on the list most likely will work.
There are still some combination that don't, but they seem to be rarer these days. The only common one i know of is that PhII X4 cpus don't like 1600 at less then cas8. And that's not even a mobo issue.

I've tried three sets of ram in my R3E, only one was on the QVL. All worked great.

According to a guy on youtube the RIII Formula is very 'average' and overclocks no better than an X58D-E... Which upsets me because the R3F is more pricey... also has less power phases. Starting to think it might be an overpriced board. He was in Britain and got a pre release media test board.. Apparently the R3F is and will not be released in the UK... which also concerns me. I'm not in the UK btw.

a guy on youtube... got a pre release media test board

you gonna trust the opinion of a guy on youtube with an early revision of the board over the people here?

believe me, no matter what you buy, you will find someone who doesn't like it, or had a bad experience with it, it happens every time (mobos, ram, videocards, ssd's, monitors...), none of this hardware is consistently 100% amazing, even the expensive stuff. You just gotta take a chance and hope the one you get works well, and it probably will 9/10 times. That's part of the gamble of OC-ing.

you gonna trust the opinion of a guy on youtube with an early revision of the board over the people here?

believe me, no matter what you buy, you will find someone who doesn't like it, or had a bad experience with it, it happens every time (mobos, ram, videocards, ssd's, monitors...), none of this hardware is consistently 100% amazing, even the expensive stuff. You just gotta take a chance and hope the one you get works well, and it probably will 9/10 times. That's part of the gamble of OC-ing.

I don't know I'm confused... :shrug:

:chair: I'm sort of torn now between a Gigabyte UD5, the Sabretooth, which is apparently really good for the money, and also gives me back 1/3 of the price, and an X58D-Premium...

Maybe I have a misplaced over-trust of British people...
We ARE dealing with electrical here, after all... I actually HAVE the rampage III formula right now. I bought it... I'm building this thing monday tuesdayish...

Kinda leaning towards exchanging for an X58D Premium honestly... The power phasing is much nicer on it...

Last edited:
Ok... So after looking more closely into the function of the RIII I like the lower CPU usage for LAN and the better controller. I like the direct 8 phase rather than 'daisy chain' style 16 phase. It's still 8 phase. I like that it has a VRM controller chip. I think I'll keep it.

noob, you are making this more difficult than it has to be. Just pick one. you arent breaking any records, so I mean, just pick one. I do apologize for being so upfront with that but the things you are concerned about really shouldnt matter to you. :)

Back