• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rampage 3 extreme, I need a second USB header

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j9_ls1

Registered
my card reader and my antec 900 cases both require USB. I have no idea why this motherboard only has one header on it, but regardless, I need two. I bought a add on PCI card thinking that may work, but it seems to be not really working correctly (if I plug my ports into this cards header, anything I connect to the card via the usb ports on my case connect, then immediately disconnect, and lose power, im guessing my 700 watt psu may be overwhelmed??)..>anyways, does anyone have any suggestions? Should I try a card that doesnt require a 4 pin molex power connector? I also saw something on newegg that basically takes the usb header ont he board, and splits it off to two usb ports, and from there I could get a usb to usb header cable, but thats a bunch of parts, and its around 30 bucks. Anyone have any other ideas?

The RIIIE has 2 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports on the rear I/O, including 9 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports at mid-board; 6 ports on the rear I/O, 1 for ROG Connect).

Return the USB header card, and just get a USB hub that can connect one of the usb ports on the back of the case. It's either that or buy the header splitter. I'm not sure of your system specs, but I doubt the addition of a USB component is enough to put the PSU over it's rated specifications ;)

Last edited:
my card reader and my antec 900 cases both require USB. I have no idea why this motherboard only has one header on it, but regardless, I need two. I bought a add on PCI card thinking that may work, but it seems to be not really working correctly (if I plug my ports into this cards header, anything I connect to the card via the usb ports on my case connect, then immediately disconnect, and lose power, im guessing my 700 watt psu may be overwhelmed??)..>anyways, does anyone have any suggestions? Should I try a card that doesnt require a 4 pin molex power connector? I also saw something on newegg that basically takes the usb header ont he board, and splits it off to two usb ports, and from there I could get a usb to usb header cable, but thats a bunch of parts, and its around 30 bucks. Anyone have any other ideas?

Job done

Back