• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Important is it to update your bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only reason I personally would see the need to update the BIOS is if you have a known issue the new BIOS fixes or for new CPU support. Sometimes you can get better OC's with a new BIOS, sometimes they are worse. I just don't like taking the risk of something screwing up for no reason. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

sometimes bios update adds new options/features, like better overclocking features.

I'd only update if any of the BIOS updates made normal life easier on me.. I am still using the out of the box original bios on this evga board.. all the updates fix things on the higher end x58s and no major microcode fixes.. i'll stick with stable :)

Unless you need to for some reason (cpu support, having issue that a new bios fixes), it's generally a good idea to leave it alone.

That said, I just updated my r3e bios for giggles, but it should help next time i slap the pot on there and cool it down to 78*c below zero. That's my justification :p

I'm lazy, I like to load up the windows utility and do it there. All those other ways take too much time :)

+1 for windows :)

Useless to upgrade if those do not concern you... Duh :D

However, I found most ASUS (if not all) update great. They fixed a lot of issues I had with the mobo!

Flashing the BIOS from within the GUI is definitely not recommended. You have the highest chance of corrupting the BIOS when flashing this way. The preferred method is to flash via a bootable thumb drive, floppy, CD/DVD, or Q-Flash (Gigabyte's BIOS flash utility embedded in FLASH ROM). If at some point you successfully flashed the BIOS from within Windows or other OS, consider yourself lucky.

Last time I updated a bios was to support larger hard drives. This was quite a while ago, not much of a problem nowadays. Just read the documentation to see if you really need it.

I usually only update the bios when there are issues or the newest bios has some added features. So I find myself updating a lot more earlier in a motherboards life in the market. Other than that I dont update.

Back