• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Software for 945GCT-M/1333 (V3.0)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mindaugas

Registered
I have an older PC with a e2140 in it I'd like to overclock, but the motherboard I used has no options in the BIOS. Does anyone have any recommendations on software I can use through windows? I'm trying some stuff with SetFSB right now. Running Win7 x64. thanks

Don't bother. I have a couple of those 945GCT-M boards.... you're not going to get much out of that chip on that board regardless of what you do, maybe up to ~1.8ghz if you're lucky, but that's hardly enough to even be worth the trouble.

thanks for reply, y is that? limit of the board? from what I read online, I should be able to get to close to 3GHz, but that was through BIOS. I'm going to be using this for an HTPC. I tested a 1080p file and it ran smoothly, so I prob don't need to. I think the old 8600gts I have has hardware acceleration, can't remember. But regardless, I haven't overclocked anything in a while ... I suppose I could go get a cheap asus 775 board.

complete off topic, wow, I just read my sig! crap this is old.

Laptop: Gateway 7422GX|Athlon64 3400+|1GB DDR333|Radeon 9550 (mobile 9600) @ 433/239|80GB 4200rpm Hitachi (slow ...)|DVDRW w/ DL (nice)|External SB Live! 24bit<--Plays BF2 on medium with a lil lag::
PC: Athlon64 3200+ Venice | 1GB OCZ4001024ELDC-K | DFI Nf4 Ultra-D | x800 Pro | 2x 80GB SATAII RAID 0 + 2 120GB SATA1 RAID 0 | ThermalTake Typhoon

that laptop died right after I got off the plane in hawaii in 2006. the computer's parts were spread out among upgrades for family. I do have one of the 80GB hard drives still, both the 120's are in a PC at work, and the x800 is sitting on my bookshelf.

thanks for reply, y is that? limit of the board? from what I read online, I should be able to get to close to 3GHz, but that was through BIOS.

Well, the 945GC chipset isn't really set up for overclocking to begin with, since it doesn't have any way of locking the PCIe frequency... meaning that when you up the bus speed, it also ups the PCIe speed, causing problems for your hard drives and such if you try to go too high.

What's more is that ECS boards, especially the older budget-level ones, are really finicky for some reason... even the ones that have clock speed adjustments in the BIOS, you generally can't get 'em to work more than a few mhz off from stock. I have a modded BIOS on one of my 945GCT-M boards, where I unlocked the overclocking features, and it just craps out if I up the bus speed more than about 15mhz, even though it should be able to do more.

But you're right, if you're just going for an HTPC, then you really don't need an overclock anyway. The 8600GTS will do hardware acceleration... quite well, I might add... IMO it seems to output better video quality than the newer generation cards. And even at stock speed, the E2140 should be able to handle most stuff in software mode anyway.

Back