• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max FSB on Asus PQ5-Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wega!

I cant seam to get passed 450Mhz FSB on this board, but I'm not sure if it's my memory or my motherboard thats keeping me back.

So I would like to hear if any of you know what this old motherboard is able to hit, when paired with a nice set of memory sticks? Should I be able to 500MHz FSB on this thing, or is 450Mhz it's limit?

Mine previously hit a wall at 492. I've got some new cooling and I'm a little more willing to kill my hardware now since I should be upgrading in early Q1 2011. I think my NB voltage was the culprit last time, and I think by adding a little more I should be able to get to 500+. I had lowered my memory way below stock just to see what my fsb max was and thus how I found out I was capped at 492. My E3110 wouldn't run 6x500 which is stock speed for this thing. I know moocow has one of these and pushed it passed 500+ before, hopefully he will chime in here.

I managed to get around 450FSB on my Q9650 with that board. I didnt like going higher even with a large jump in voltage tho :( (both chipset and CPU volts)

Well every mobo is different, but I havent seen one not break 450FSB. If your memory is rated at 800Mhz, that may bery well be the problem. with Penryn quads though I have seen them in the 475+ range. Anything over that with a quad is gravy.

I know my RAM was OCZ reaper rated @ 1066. Think I got my Q9650 (was yours Earthdog :) ) upto 4.2Ghz, But that was really pushing the voltages and didn't seem to reliable either (prime fail after a short time)

That thing hit almost 4.9Ghz so it wasnt the CPU... and that was only on water.

Im so sad you sold that thing.. as I would have bought it back, it was a cherry chip... :(

Yeah it was a great deal you gave me on that chip :thup:

I was hoping to push my W/C setup with that chip but the board wouldn't let me :(

It remained within safe volts and under 55c (load) @4GHZ. And that was in the summer!

One thing I had to do to alleviate the wall on my P5Q Deluxe was to set the NB Strap to 333Mhz. I was using 400MHz assuming it should be easier on the NB, but once I changed to 333MHz, the wall was gone. I've taken it up to 560MHz so far, and that was a CPU limitation (E6300).

Thanks for all your feedback :)

My problem is that I want to go 4Ghz+, and my Q6600 is just not up for that. And now I've found a promising Q9450 that does [email protected], but that doesnt help me a anything if i cant get the FSB up, as the Q9450 got a low multiplier. So I need to go 500Mhz+ FSB on the PQ5, if this CPU is gonna be any good to me. In the same deal I get 4GB (2x2GB) of OCZ PC8000 RAM, to help me get there instead of the no-name that I'm using ATM. 8x525Mhz would be such a nice OC to get :drool:

Do you all think that I should do it?

Most Q6600's wont do that 24/7, no way. 3.4-3.6Ghz is the sweetspot for those under water or lower cooling. You are a brave person pumping 1.63v into it 24/7 also. Cheers to you.

Your sig, while informative, still leaves me wondering what temps you are hitting as I dont see what the water temps actually are btw.

As far as should you do it? I would say no. Thats not a platform worth upgrading to now. Save your money for Sandybridge/Bulldozer in a couple of months.

Last edited:
Well considering skt775 is getting long in the tooth now, I would not be willing to spend the cash on faster DDR2 and another CPU for that platform.

Even if you did. from my experiance hitting 525mhz FSB on that board would be difficult. (Although I did not know about the 400 strap problem at the time)

Most Q6600's wont do that 24/7, no way. 3.4-3.6Ghz is the sweetspot for those under water or lower cooling. You are a brave person pumping 1.63v into it 24/7 also. Cheers to you.

Your sig, while informative, still leaves me wondering what temps you are hitting as I dont see what the water temps actually are btw.

As far as should you do it? I would say no. Thats not a platform worth upgrading to now. Save your money for Sandybridge/Bulldozer in a couple of months.

No the CPU temp/water temp is not in my sig, as i varies with the ambient temp. But atm I'm running at 50C on the hottest core while folding.

I wont be able to go Sandy in any near future, as that would require at least a new motherboard, CPU and RAM, bought at one and I know that I wont be able to afford that anytime soon. I have to pay around 150$ for the CPU and RAM that I'm looking at.

Well considering skt775 is getting long in the tooth now, I would not be willing to spend the cash on faster DDR2 and another CPU for that platform.

Even if you did. from my experiance hitting 525mhz FSB on that board would be difficult. (Although I did not know about the 400 strap problem at the time)

Well I only have to pay around 150$ for the CPU and RAM, and at the same time I'll be able to sell a Q8400 that will be a leftover from the upgrade. So the only reason that I'm considering this upgrade is because it will be fairly cheap for me. And as i wrote to Earthdog, I wont be able to upgrade to Sandy in some time...

Well if you can upgrade for as cheap as you say, and be able to sell the parts you replace. Then I would say go ahead. The performance gain should be worth the amount of $$ your talking (atleast after selling a part or 2 to compensate) :)

For $250, you are likely half way to SandyB... or 2/3 of the way to X58/P55... I dont know, even for $150 - Q8400, I would sell it all at once and make a major, more worthwhile upgrade. You will hardly notice a difference between the Q6600 and Q9450 and 3.8Ghz and 4.2Ghz if you r lucky and get there, evne in folding that MAY be a 1k PPD difference. Maybe.

For $250, you are likely half way to SandyB... or 2/3 of the way to X58/P55... I dont know, even for $150 - Q8400, I would sell it all at once and make a major, more worthwhile upgrade. You will hardly notice a difference between the Q6600 and Q9450 and 3.8Ghz and 4.2Ghz if you r lucky and get there, evne in folding that MAY be a 1k PPD difference. Maybe.

Well my Q6600 should replace the Q8400 that's in my wife's computer, if i got the Q9450. And that should yield me about 4K PPD more in total. And i just want to have a nice OC on the CPU to match my WC setup and OC on the GTX460, and the Q6600 isnt really getting me that. And 3.2Ghz at only 1.112v sounds really promising to me...

BTW, would a Gigabyte N680SLI-DQ6 board do better than the PQ5?

That Gigabyte board isnt half as good as your P5Q. I'm pretty sure that it might not even support the Q9450? It certainly won't overclock well at all.

Bleh. No. Thats a 680i chipset board I believe and No again! And it may not support that Q9450...

Your current overclock does match your w/c setup (I have to admit Im not quite certain what that means though). I mean 3.8ghz on a Q6600 is GREAT. Like I said, their sweetspot is no more than 3.6Ghz and you are past that...

Save your cash, and wait for a more significant upgrade is my take.

Good luck to you. :)

Ohh well I know nothing about the Gigabyte board, but it seams like it's in it's right place in the wife's rig :)

Thank you both for your thoughts and comments, I have something to think about now :)

For quads (or duals for that matter) you want a P45, which you have :)

3.8GHz on the Q6600 is definitely above the norm.

You already have some of the best LGA775 gear. If you get a new 45nm CPU, then you'll need new RAM to get the most outta the chip. I wouldn't upgrade to different 775 components now, either save for a more significant upgrade or upgrade something that can be carried over in a platform change.

Back