• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600, GTX 275 and approtiate non sli mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yek.g_01

Dear everyone, I am an Overclockers website newbie and hope you can help me.This might seem a bit ancient but I recently sold my fx 60 and a8n32 sli on ebay for a nice price and now thinking of getting an intel q6600 and appropriate motherboard for my gtx 275.

The reason for this is that I like budget gaming and can overclock. I have read the difference between an intel q6600 and i7 950 for Gaming in terms of FPS would be minimal to the human eye.

I figured if I was to sli I would go for a 790i ultra board. My questions are:

1. If I was to buy a mobo for just a single GTX 275 and q6600 what should I go for, taking into account overclocking/ reliability

2.Is my processor for good budget gaming a good choice and overall good decision. (I plan on getting i7 in the future 2 years of so, and making this just a general/ internet pc.)

3. If I was to SLI would 780 or 790 really make a difference( ie x16 lanes and ddr3)

Thank You :santa2:

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCForums!

If you're going single GPU, then get a P45 chipset board. P45's OC a lot better than nVidia chipsets in my experiences.

The Q6600 is still a good CPU. An i7 is a much better CPU, but speaking strictly gaming, I'm not sure. I'm not a gamer, and don't really keep up with that.

I would go 790 if you plan on SLI. The DDR3 could be carried over in a platform change and save you some $ in the long run. I've heard and read that the 790 gives more stable OCs and better SLI performance due to how the NF200 is incorporated -vs- the 780 chipset.

Thank you, do you have any recommendations for a good-ish overclocking p45 board from around that era for my gtx 275, and q6600? and what kind of memory would I be looking at?

How much would you like to spend, least as possible? Most P45 boards are DDR2, but there are some DDR3 variants as well. So, which would you prefer?

The highest I've seen DDR2 rated is 1200MHz. DDR3 can be rated between 1066-2500MHz. Although, with the Q6600 either will do fine and not limit your OC. The lowest DDR2 I would get would be 1000MHz.

The IP35 Pro is a decent board, but it's the P35 chipset.

For P45 boards you can look into Asus P5Q series, Gigabyte EP45 series, or Biostar TPower i45. The DDR3 versions will be P5Q3 for Asus and EP45T for Gigabyte.

Ive been doing a bit of research and am interested in the P5Q, particulatly the
P5Q VM DO as it has onboard video which I can use for a normal PC, and transfer my GTX 275 to a future i7.
The second board is the P5Q SE which doent have onboard video.
Which do you think would be better for overclocking and would there be much difference betwen the 2. Thanks

Back