• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Best Price/Performance Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lutsk

Hey guys, I intend to build/buy my first PC assembly and i'm not sure on which X58 motherboard to get. So what would be the best price/performance x58 motherboard out there? My mind is more on the Asus Sabertooth for now. (thoughts?)

Thx

- Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
- CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W
- Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield
- COOLER MASTER HAF X
- EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 570
- G.SKILL PI (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 6-8-6-24 or G.SKILL PI (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
6-8-6-20 (Still thinking)
- Noctua NH-D14
- ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366
- Windows 7 pro 64bit

Just wondering if you really need for the next day (like before xmas) this new system?
SB is coming out and it might worth to wait.

You should also include if you want or not SLI* (in the future as an upgrade?).
If you do really want the D14, be sure the board and the ram you select are compatible here (top of the page for ram compatibility).

It is a really good cooler; just sucks that it has compatibility issues :(

EDIT: I am not 100% sure but the 6970 is cheaper and seems to perform better than the 570 in most games (like 7% or so if not mistaken). It also scale pretty well if you want to crossfire. You should consider this option in my humble opinion :)

I still got like 2 weeks so please tell me more about SB, what is it?

Gonna think more about the SLI or even Crossfire but I dont think that Ill be upgrading for a second GPU card even in 2-3 years.

Thx for the compatibility list for D14. Now I know I can't use G.Skill PI with it ;( (shame)

I've looked at a few benchmarks and read so many reviews; GTX 570 >> 6970. There was like only one game where 6970 was beating 570 and not by far so ima stick with 570. Thx for your concern.

So please tell me more about SB??

Yep rest is locked and you can only change the multi (on the K version) but... you can go to like 5GHz (x50 multi) and even 6-6.5GHz (extreme OC maybe) if my memory is good.

But it has also a ton of new and useful feature.

Also, there's probably a new socket, the upgrade of the 1336, coming in 2011 also so I don't think it`s the time to break your bank :p

Ima stick with buying my x58 board and i7-950 for now, sandybridge will only be using
direct 10x apparently and Ivy bridge will pwn their *** in 6-12months anywayz..

But let's get back to the topic -.-'
My mind is wandering from GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R to ASUS Rampage III Gene to Asus Sabertooth to GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5
I ain't sure if buying UD5 would be a better deal than UD3R in price/performance term.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Ima stick with buying my x58 board and i7-950 for now, sandybridge will only be using
direct 10x apparently and Ivy bridge will pwn their *** in 6-12months anywayz..

But let's get back to the topic -.-'
My mind is wandering from GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R to ASUS Rampage III Gene to Asus Sabertooth to GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5
I ain't sure if buying UD5 would be a better deal than UD3R in price/performance term.
What do you guys think?

I think you should repost as your thread is heavily spammed :santa:

Side note: The IGPU will use only dx10... That's a bad news only if you're going to not use extra video card..

You will get some swearing by ASUS boards, and others who love Gigabyte; they both have their ups and downs. Any given board of the same model has a chance of being an amazing clocker, an okay clocker, or a dud. So you're bound to find examples of people who love a board, and then other people who have had a bad time with the same one.
Basically I'm saying the boards you're looking at are already good models from trusted companies, and chances are no matter which one you choose, you'll get a pretty good system, and you might get an awesome clocker. Don't worry too much about it.

That said, feel free to wait for other opinions to help you make a decision. I'm sure people might have some more insight about the specific models' ups and downs.

If you aren't planning on doing any extreme cooling benching, and you aren't planning on using 3-4 GPUs, it really doesn't matter that much which mobo you use.
The actual performance of them at 4ghz cpu speed is pretty much identical.
They're all capable of getting a halfway decent cpu to 4ghz, as well.
I think the x58-ud3r is the cheapest, so I'd go with that.

Asus and gigabyte both do a very good job.

Back