• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Supermicro X8DTi-F with two E5620 cpus will not boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theshirt23

Hello,
I recently bought a Supermicro X8DTi-F motherboard and two Intel Xeon 5620 cpus to use with it.

The problem, however, is that the computer will not boot (not even BIOS, no POST beeps, nothing; just fans spinning) with both cpus inserted. The 24 pin and both 8 pin eps power plugs are connected from my Corsair 950W psu.

The computer works perfectly with just one processor inserted in socket 1.
Neither processor, however, works in socket 2 alone. I am not sure if this expected or not - that is, can a dual processor motherboard run with a single processor in *either* socket?

Applying the most recent BIOS update from Supermicro did not affect the situation.

Could someone please suggest what my next course of action might be? I have no idea whether I can mark the second socket as dead or whether there is a different problem.

Thanks!
-Kevin

IIRC dual socket boards require you to use socket 1 if you're only using 1 CPU.

It looks like 56xx series requires 1.1c BIOS, is that what you're on? Is there an option in the BIOS for activating the second socket?

How did you fix the issue?

Hello,
I recently bought a Supermicro X8DTi-F motherboard and two Intel Xeon 5620 cpus to use with it.

The problem, however, is that the computer will not boot (not even BIOS, no POST beeps, nothing; just fans spinning) with both cpus inserted. The 24 pin and both 8 pin eps power plugs are connected from my Corsair 950W psu.

The computer works perfectly with just one processor inserted in socket 1.
Neither processor, however, works in socket 2 alone. I am not sure if this expected or not - that is, can a dual processor motherboard run with a single processor in *either* socket?

Applying the most recent BIOS update from Supermicro did not affect the situation.

Could someone please suggest what my next course of action might be? I have no idea whether I can mark the second socket as dead or whether there is a different problem.

Thanks!
-Kevin

Back