• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving Sata wies question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Papajo

Registered
HI,
I'm using a Gigabyte P55 motherboard with 3 SSD's in a Raid 0 array, I also have a Raptor drive for backup.
My graphic card is the XFX HD 6850 and I was thinking of going to a crossfire setup, the problem is to fit the second card I would have to unplug and relocate 2 of the Raid sata wires, would this affect my raid setup by pluging into different ports?

Thanks for any help, Joe

Last edited:
yes, it can. it depends on the raid type, but i always prefer to plug them into the exact same port locations i pulled them from.
the Intel Raid stuff, that has its own BIOS taggs the disk themselves, it is smartly done (like many intel things) so if your using the usual ICH type of raid with Raid bios, i would bet it would find them easily Even if moved to different ports.

You will not or can not move to items that are NOT controlled by that same controller.

Testing and staying alive. When messing with something like this, it is good to know some things before hand. (probably to late now) Your exact stripe size, the location of all partitions by numbers, and the original port that it was plugged into. The exact names&numbers your drives are show as in the raid bios, and what is active or not, what is deemed bootable, and all info that you might need.
why?
because i have seperated raid before, fully discombobulated it, then reset it back to the exact order it was in, and reset the raid exactally the way it was , Answered a requester that said "all my data would be lost" and was back up like nothing happend. the things that "saved me" was knowing how to reset the disks (array) to the same way it was, so all data could be found the same way.
I have even blown out the partition tables, pulled them from the array using the remove properly, and managed to reset everything back, and reset the partition table. by ME knowing how it was set, i could practically do anything, as long as i could retract it back with the information i had written down.

At no time do i allow a evil operating system to do a scandisk/checkdisk until i am sure the data locations are correct. 2 ways to do that, dont allow an OS to startup (just yet) check in the bios and see that the array assembly is correct. Tweak the OS , so the AUTO bs of doing a checkdsk is stopped.

ok so i am complicating it :) just put port numbers on your wires, pull them switch them, reboot to the raid bios, dont let it go to the OS (yet) and see if the raid bios has discovered all the disks, and that the array is still valid. if it is then proceed to re-route the wiring, and all. If it isnt, then just put them back into the same ports.

what i was indicating is Intel raid, is very recoverable under the worst of situations, as long as you know all aspects of the original setup, and can retract them back exactally to that. So sure you should back-up all your data, and sure you shouldnt expect miracles. but if you have all the numbers and facts, you can perform miracles with it :)

Last edited:
Hi,
Well I redid the whole setup, there was a partition error showing up so a clean install was in order, that was the time to swap wires to different ports.

I thank you for your explanation and help. Regards Joe

Back