• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin Bargain Bin PSUs, terrible!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

Mushkin has a tuesday Bargain Bin these days with some pretty seriously low prices, $20 for 650w PSUs, $35 for 128gb SSDs, that sort of thing.
The downside? 30 day warranty.

I bought two 650w PSUs, tested one and it worked fine, the other I got lazy (uhoh) and did not test.
Last night I decided to test it, so I plugged it into my main box with the intention of doing some light benching, it fired right up, then while in bios it went ZZZOT, gave a blue flash out the back, and was dead as a doornail.

I unplugged and opened it up, and A) the soldering is lousy, B) they didn't wash the flux off after soldering, and C) it's been stored in a wet warehouse! Corrosion everywhere! It's no wonder it failed. So much for giving that to my friend!

I then opened the first one, which worked, and found it to have marginally better soldering, a bit less flux, and plenty of corrosion there, too.
So much for that gift!
Just for giggles I tried to put it into their online RMA form and the form denies the very existence of such a PSU!
Worse, today I checked the bargain bin and found another stack of the same PSUs being sold, so how you're supposed to get warranty service on them is beyond me.
I'm now out $40 (at least they were cheap!), and y'all've been warned: You get what you pay for.

Flux will cause corrosion,I doubt they were stored in a wet warehouse.Also I believe the stuff from the bargain bin doesn't qualify for regular warranty and most of the items are discontinued models,which is likely why you didn't find the models listed on the RMA form. If you bought these less then 30 day ago,you should contact costumer service,but I am not sure they will help you ,since you did open the units.

I'll take my camera to work and take some pics.

Warranty wise I'm out of luck because I waited too long.

Well that does suck :-/ Even if you're out of warranty, I say call them up and explain the situation. Won't hurt to try ;)

Ok here we go, these are pics of the worse of the two units.
The other one that actually functions i'm going to use as a dedicated peltier PSU, if it chunks itself and kills a $12 pelt i don't care much :p
Chunking my brother's computer wouldn't be quite so good.

EDIT:
The last pic is the AC receptacle, note the partially soldered main lead. Classy!

Attachments

• IMG_3884.JPG
    IMG_3884.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_3885.JPG
    IMG_3885.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_3886.JPG
    IMG_3886.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_3887.JPG
    IMG_3887.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_3888.JPG
    IMG_3888.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_3889.JPG
    IMG_3889.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 424
I was certainly less then impressed!
I don't know what failed on that one, the fuse is still intact. I plan to desolder it and see what is usable and what is junk.
The main cap has a tiny amount of bulging in the cap, small enough that i can almost think it's my imagination.

wow that's all spot soldering wth its just globbed everywhere. you should send them those pictures. Maybe that was a returned unit that got mixed in to refurbs.

Thats some pro soldering.

My soldering is better than that and I dont even know how to solder :D

MAN! That is unreal! How can a company be even allowed to sell such a poor PSU! (or even make one) Looks like a 5yr old has been let loose with a soldering iron! Im actually in shock how bad that is :shock:

Honestly, it looks like that has been made to purposely wreck someones pc :(

Post it on their forums they have a thread for Bargain Bin with a link to the pictures, they will resolve it ASAP due to the bad publicity.

Used to be that Mushkin was a top-notch company. They had the best RAM around and amazing support. I browsed through their forums just now and I'm sort of unimpressed - seems they've fallen behind. Bummer.

Mushkin was awesome around the time that OCZ seemed like a crappy knockoff brand that wouldn't last long.

Post it on their forums they have a thread for Bargain Bin with a link to the pictures, they will resolve it ASAP due to the bad publicity.

Not likely... Most suppliers of low quality products know full well that their products are inferior. They use marketing hype to sell the stuff. When fanbois latch onto a brand it's tough for them to let go even when their beliefs are not supported in reality. This is how a lot of PC junk is sold to gullible consumers - regardless of brand. If you actually knew... you'd be amazed. :cry:

Back