• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer won't boot. Mem error Asus Sabertooth x58 i7 950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

APhamX

Registered
I have the asus sabertooth x58 motherboard with 8 gbs (2 x 4 gb) of cmx4gx3m2a1600c9 (xms3) DDR3 ram. When I turned on the computer the first time I noticed there was a right light next to the ram slot and nothing was posting on screen (it just displayed no signal) so I shut the computer off and removed all the ram and put one stick in it. Still didn't work, tried 4 combinations listen in manual and still didn't work.

When I checked online someone else had the same ram as me and the same motherboard however they had the computer boot up unlike mine.

I have the antec 900 case, no speakers in the case.

I tested the video card on another desktop I built 2 days ago, it worked fine.

Could it be that maybe the motherboard pins are bent?

Please help, I want to build this for my cousin for his christmas present.

:welcome:

Get a copy of memtest86+

This is a program that you put on CD or floppy and then boot to that media. It will test the RAM to see if it is bad.

:welcome:

Get a copy of memtest86+

This is a program that you put on CD or floppy and then boot to that media. It will test the RAM to see if it is bad.

When I turned on the computer the first time I noticed there was a right light next to the ram slot and nothing was posting on screen (it just displayed no signal) so I shut the computer off and removed all the ram and put one stick in it. Still didn't work, tried 4 combinations listen in manual and still didn't work.

If he is not getting a screen then either there is no video feed or it isn't booting enough to do a mem test is the way I am reading it.

If there is nothing happening then I would remove the motherboard from the case and try it again to rule out something grounding out. Make sure all connectors are good as well and see if you can get it to post using just the motherboard one stick of ram and the video card.

What power supply are you using? and are you using an 8 pin EATX12V connector to the motherboard?

saber.jpg

Last edited:
If he is not getting a screen then either there is no video feed or it isn't booting enough to do a mem test is the way I am reading it.

If there is nothing happening then I would remove the motherboard from the case and try it again to rule out something grounding out. Make sure all connectors are good as well and see if you can get it to post using just the motherboard one stick of ram and the video card.

What power supply are you using? and are you using an 8 pin EATX12V connector to the motherboard?

saber.jpg

yes, I'm using the 8 pin connector, and I have tried with one stick of ram and the video card still no go. I have a TX 750 watt corsair power supply. I don't know what's wrong.. :bang head

Pull it out of the case and lay it on its box and try it to rule out a short would be the next thing I would do.

What video card is it?

Do you have any other brand DDR3 you could try just as a temp to rule out the RAM?

Last edited:
Pull it out of the case and lay it on its box and try it to rule out a short would be the next thing I would do.

What video card is it?

Do you have any other brand DDR3 you could try just as a temp to rule out the RAM?

Nvidia 8600 GT, I don't have any other ram sticks.. Maybe cause it might have bent cpu pins?

What makes you think it may have bent pins? did you have to push to get the cpu into the socket? a cpu should just drop into the socket. If you believe that it may have a bent pin then yes I would pull it out and check it.

What makes you think it may have bent pins? did you have to push to get the cpu into the socket? a cpu should just drop into the socket. If you believe that it may have a bent pin then yes I would pull it out and check it.

No i read in another form if the computer doesn't post then the cpu may be bent. They were wrong. Well I got the comp to boot.. My uncle installed the ram ignoring the manual on how to put the ram in and put it in different slots and it works with all four sticks.. Lesson learned, don't trust manuals =.= :bang head

8 gbs (2 x 4 gb) of cmx4gx3m2a1600c9 (xms3) DDR3 ram.

My uncle installed the ram ignoring the manual on how to put the ram in and put it in different slots and it works with all four sticks..

Dual Channel operation in a tri-channel board will be listed in the manual. You could remove one stick and run it in a triple channel configuration (one of the major features of the 1366) for easy installation.

Back