• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam - where's support?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rollincoaster

Got BC2 Vietnam as a gift last Saturday. Tried entering the CD key given to me - didn't work. no dashes - didn't work either. So I submitted a ticket and 5 days later I get a response.

In order to use expansions and bonus content, you will need to activate the content on your EA Battlefield: Bad Company 2 account.

To do this, right-click on the game in your "Library" list in Steam and select 'View Game CD Key'. Carefully write down the key for the package(s) you want to activate.

If you do not see the "View Game CD Key" option, please verify your game cache files:
Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF)
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

Select "Launch Game".

Once you arrive at the main menu, choose the "Login" button, along the upper right.

To register your content, select Multiplayer > Redeem Code.

**When entering your key(s), do not include any dashes. Including dashes when entering your key may result in an 'invalid key' error.

Fail what do they think I did? Obviously I got the CD Key since the ticket requires that you attach a picture of it which I did. I obviously tried activating it if it gave me an error code back. It's rather hard to make stuff up don't you think? EA's message was obviously crooked in itself - go buy a new one.

Anyways, someone know of a way to call Steam up? I looked over their site - not a single phone number listed. Was hoping to play Vietnam guess I won't be able to for a while which really sucks.

there support is hard to contact. i got trippled charged once and found a phone number after trying to submit a ticket. the phone number went to a voicemail i had to leave my name number and the reason i was calling. No one ever called me back but the charge got reversed

i had issues with the keys on 3 games. Gave up on one of them. the other 2 i got to work by playing with the keys.

No Battlefield games are on the Retail CD Keys list. Perhaps it won't take it because it can't? For most EA games, if you didn't buy it on Steam, you can't use it with Steam.

When you buy it on Steam, you get the CD key through Steam, and I assume it asks for a CD key when installing. They're assuming that you're not asking a stupid question like "Why can't I activate this third-party game that isn't in the list of third-party games which can be activated?", and if you had purchased it though Steam, they're telling you the steps to go through to get it to run properly.

See this sticky forum post, too: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1650058

If you already have the original game in Steam, and are for some reason trying to activate it through Steam's UI, you're doing it wrong. It is clearly stated in practically every forum post that you're supposed to enter the Vietnam CD key inside the game, not in Steam.

If your problem is none of the above, you're going to need to give some more specific details.

Last edited:
Steam Support typically takes 3-5 business days.

I recommend you go to the Steam or EA forums, as you aren't the only one who had this kind of issue.

No Battlefield games are on the Retail CD Keys list. Perhaps it won't take it because it can't? For most EA games, if you didn't buy it on Steam, you can't use it with Steam.

When you buy it on Steam, you get the CD key through Steam, and I assume it asks for a CD key when installing. They're assuming that you're not asking a stupid question like "Why can't I activate this third-party game that isn't in the list of third-party games which can be activated?", and if you had purchased it though Steam, they're telling you the steps to go through to get it to run properly.

See this sticky forum post, too: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1650058

If you already have the original game in Steam, and are for some reason trying to activate it through Steam's UI, you're doing it wrong. It is clearly stated in practically every forum post that you're supposed to enter the Vietnam CD key inside the game, not in Steam.

If your problem is none of the above, you're going to need to give some more specific details.

Both are through Steam - I know how to enter codes and all that stuff.
Anyways it's EA's problem now and luckily EA is a bit faster.

I wouldn't be surprised if EA screwed up making sure their key server is synced with Valve's. I had to send a few emails when I bought Mass Effect 2.

Back