• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Western Digital?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

super2007

So my raid has been crashing and one of the drives failed. I called WD and did the Advance RMA on the drive. They asked for serial number on the phone and shipped me two drives since i decided to RMA both.

Today 2nd air i got the drives

Both drives arrived but they are 750GB (black)

My original was 2x640gb (blue) and now i have 750gb (black).

What do i do? they have my credit card on the hold if i don't ship my bad drivers back to them, since i did the Advance RMA.

Do i call them and tell them or just ship my blue 640gb drivers back and see if all goes well?

What were they supposed to send you? Does it say blue on whatever paperwork you got from them?

i would contact them before you ship back your old ones to ask what they want to do

you may just get a pair of 750gb blacks straight up for your 640gb blues, unless that isnt a good thing for your setup?

i would contact them before you ship back your old ones to ask what they want to do

you may just get a pair of 750gb blacks straight up for your 640gb blues, unless that isnt a good thing for your setup?

ya i will contact them, not sure about my setup i mean i only had 2x640 GB blue, so if i get to keep 750GB Black i be all over it but i always saw everyone recommending 640GB's than 750's or 1TB, 6400AAKS drivers ranked very good. Not sure how good these are

Better than your 640GB blue drives so if WD wants to upgrade you then by all means accept and enjoy

WD sends what they have, and often upgrades you for your trouble.
I'd call 'em up just in case, I haven't done the Advance RMA before but I've sent a decent number of drives in and gotten upgraded almost every time.

Nice easy RMA process too, I really like WD.

They will RMA the other drive for you without problem. I sent in a Raptor with 8mb cache and they sent back one with 16mb. I called them and explained the situation and they told me to send in the other one and they will replace it. Their policy states that they either send you back a replacement or upgrade it to a better drive.

did the same thing i had a 320 blue. set up an Advance RMA they sent me a 500gb WD black. I think they did that on purpose ;) Great company!

They gave you 100GB of extra space and a superior drive architechture for $0. :) Enjoy. They do that sometimes I've heard of many cases of them shipping blacks out to people who have RMA'd greens or blues. WD is great IMO.

yap just called and confirmed, they sent me the big drives since they didn't have 640 in stock. Awesome! only down side is one of the drive arrived in bad packaging (in big ups box) with little packaging

That is odd of them sending the unit like that. I would run a diagnostic on the drive before using it, just in case.
But yeah, WD has sent us back larger/black drives when sending in blue or even green drives. Sometimes, without the "recertified" label on them - brand new drives.

Normally their drives come with a hard plastic shell on top and bottom of the drive in a box a little larger than the drive itself with an anti static bag. Was your any different?

Back