• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking GA P31-D3SL and E8500 help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

teeboy

As you can see from my sig, the components in my PC are a couple of years old now. I have been trying to squeeze a bit more out of them before throwing in the towel and buying new gear. After some searching on these forums and reviews I have tried upping the FSB (CPU freq in BIOS) to 400 with a mult of 9 (to give 3.6Ghz) and set the voltage management to manual and changed the vcore to 1.32, which seemed to be conservative and easily obtainable according to loads of posts. Also set the memory to 2x to leave them at 800Mhz.

On saving and exiting the BIOS, the PC seems to start to reboot, then shutdown before restarting. I assumed as it posted and loaded into win 7 all was good but a check with CPUID showed the FSB still at 333 (CPU running at stock 3.16Ghz) and the only thing that had altered was the vcore. When changing the FSB, the BIOS messaged to set the v's to auto to optimize them - this resulted in a vcore of 1.42, which seems a bit high and made no difference to the CPU speed as before! After several attempts and checking the user manual I gave up and set BIOS back to normal.

Have I missed something obvious in the BIOS or am I being a little hopeful that I can get 3.6Ghz out of a nearly 2 year old chip?

PC spec: E8500 C2D, GA-EP31-D3SL, 4Gb Kingston XMS2 800 Mhz, Gelid Tranquillo cooler, FSP 600W PSU, Silverstone PS05B case.

Last edited:
I assumed as it posted and loaded into win 7 all was good but a check with CPUID showed the FSB still at 333 (CPU running at stock 3.16Ghz) and the only thing that had altered was the vcore.
I got my e8400 to 3.6 stable on several instances of prime95 with no problem. I don't see any reason you couldn't get that out of your e8500. Infact most posts for either chip say 4.0 on air is fairly EASILY achievable. I backed mine down to a 3.4 just because I had no need for 3.6 and I'd rather prolong the life of the chip.

In your BIOS find your C1E option and disable it. Mine also has a C2E and C4E. They are all responsible for automatically managing your chips performance on a "need" basis. i.e. if your chip isn't requiring more than 3.16GHz then it won't allow it to pass that. However if you begin to NEED more it will add it. Thus it pretty much changes the FSB on its own according to what it "thinks" you need. Disable all of these and whatever you save and post SHOULD be what you actually run at.

As for the vcore, if you put it on auto, it always seems to "overestimate" just to get going its often easier to leave it on this. But once you've reached your goal, do it manually, and reduce the vcore slowly until you get too low for it to be stable, and then bump it back up to the last known good vcore. I usually leave it on auto while I'm first fidgeting with evertyhing though.

Back