• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Rampage III Extreme HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

canadian_mofo

Registered
Hey guys should be getting my Asus Rampage III extreme any day now in the mail. Now ive been reading alot about some heatsinks being to large and blocking ram slots. I currently have a Thermalright Ultra 120 for my 775 which i could convert to a 1366 however i hear that will block the first slot. Do any of you have experience with this board and can recomend a highend HSF such as the thermalright ultra 120 that wont be covering any of the memory slots. Oh and i do not really want to go watercooling.

Typical style tower coolers like the TRUE, VX, Megahalems, etc. can be mounted so that the airflow through the heat sink is front to back (or back to front). If they're mounted that way, then the heatsink itself won't block any RAM slots. Although, the fans used may block RAM slots. The RAM slots being blocked is only an issue for RAM with huge heatsinks, so depending on your RAM you may not even have an issue no matter how you mount the heatsink.

The NHD14 does not obstruct any ram slots on the Rampage 3 formula, although it can create a situation where it is extremely difficult to remove RAM from A2 without removing the heatsink. This is with standard heigh heatspreader RAM. If you want to use taller sicks, a vertical orientation of the HSF would be necessary.

Back