• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 PCI Express question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andros 1337

Hello there. I am currently using an ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 motherboard.

I am looking at the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional PCI Express x1 sound card. However, my mobo doesn't have any PCI Express x1 slots; it only has an x16 slot running at x4 mode.

I was wondering, can I use it on that slot, or does the slot only accept graphics cards? I am happy with my current AGP graphics card, which is a VisionTek Radeon HD 2400 Pro. Most of the newest PCI Express graphics cards will not work in x4 mode after all.

FYI, my current sound card is a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value (PCI). I have disabled the onboard audio through the BIOS.

Wrong section. Audio :)

You don't want a creative card in my opinion. Get an Auzentech Meridian. Again, just my opinion, but having used both extensively, the Meridian destroys any X-Fi based card. It uses an OxygenHD processor which is very much superior as well as superior amplification, better layout, better circuitry, better, much more audio friendly capacitors, supports 32 bit output versus only 24. The list goes on. Weigh that against .......nothing... and hardware EAX :p

More importantly, if you look at the specs for the 4core dual-SATA2 you'll note that you must choose between using either the PCI-e slot or the AGP, you can't run both at the same time even if the PCI-e slot is used for audio or other application. Haven't tested the claim my self, but you may be in for some disappointment if you try.

More importantly, if you look at the specs for the 4core dual-SATA2 you'll note that you must choose between using either the PCI-e slot or the AGP, you can't run both at the same time even if the PCI-e slot is used for audio or other application. Haven't tested the claim my self, but you may be in for some disappointment if you try.

I've tried it, and indeed it won't boot at all with cards in both slots. There's supposedly a modded BIOS/driver combo that allows both slots to be used, but I think even then it only works with graphics cards.

Back