• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Mobo for Tualatin Celleron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm fairly happy with my TUSL-2C...my only complaint is that there is no 1/4 PCI divisor before 133 FSB (which is actually 134) so a celly 1.0A or 1.1 shouldn't be any problem but a 1.2 or higher will have less chance of hitting 133 FSB

my first chip was a P3 1100E that I recently switched with this cele 1.0A currently@1450. Could not run the FSB above 119 b/c of the high PCI clock speed and would not hit 133

many people like the Abit ST-6 also

The TUSL-2C is fine if you can get your Celeron chip to go at 133 or higher.

I recommend the ST6 by Abit. Rock solid. 1/4 divider available before 133. The Gigabyte XET/XET-C is good if you can find it.

I avoid TUSL If I were you, it doesn't even hav VOLTAGE Tweak,
which is critical for Stablizing an overclock system

I've been looking for a Tulatin Board for a WHILE,
these are the BEST "overclockabel" Tulatin Board I've came across

1. ABIT VH6T
2. MSI 6309 (via694T), highly recommended for many extra feature include USB2PC connection
3. MSI 6337_LE5 (i815 stepb)
4. Gigabyte GA-6OXT
5. Gigabyte GA-6VTX
7. Jetway 694TAS

8. ECS P6S5AT (DDR support, but no Voltage) $40-45

You can buy the ECS real cheap, but again, no voltage :(

I'm leaning on either the JETWAY or ABIT right now

hope that clarify :)

The TUSL2 board does have voltage control for the CPU with the updated BIOS.

First the TUSL2C does have voltage adjustment up to 1.625V not wired and 1.825V with vid 1 and 2 wired with Tualatin CPU.

The MSI 815 is a good board for stock systems (its the only Intel board I order for work for both P3's and Tuallies) but not a very good overclocker at all

And you can take anything with a VIA or SIS chipset and pretty much toss it out the window as far as I'm concerned so that knocks out Jetway and a few others. Not sure whats on the ECS but everything else they've made in the past few years has been pretty much crap

DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT! get the Gigabyte GA-6OXT
i was just sent that mobo by mistake. i was supposed to get a Gigabyte GA-6OXET but the dumbasses screwed up.
this board sux hardcore, there is only 1 overclocking option, fsb adjust, there is no 1/4 pci divider when using a celeron :mad:

V12 said:
@deez
why is the MSI board not a good overclocker?

Just cant be pushed as hard as some of the other boards not as many OC options. But the 6337 series make great boards for stock systems or for a slight OC. I use the 815-EPTPro non raid boards. The integrated video and sound is even pretty good if you dont play games on it.

And I would've bought another Abit board too (my BP6 still runs great) but I got the TUSL-2C as a christmas bonus actually...we had extra inventory

DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT! get the Gigabyte GA-6OXT

I told ya the XT sucks for overclocking!

Actually, I think even the XET-C is getting harder and harder to find these days....

Thank god i've got the XET....This board kicks arse and the XET-C is a great board as well!

Flu!d said:

I told ya the XT sucks for overclocking!

Actually, I think even the XET-C is getting harder and harder to find these days....

Thank god i've got the XET....This board kicks arse and the XET-C is a great board as well!

To bad you don't have a chip that will utilize the OC'n features we have discussed. Intel actually replaced my chip for me, you know the one I cut with a hack saw. So now I got my 1.2GHz PIII back. You probably saw how it does 177fsb or maybe not. This chip would be perfect for testing that mobo out. I have seen one here running a 140fsb and 1/3 dividers with the ST6! Why they did that is beyond me but for PCI hurtz I think the ST6 cannot be beat.

The St-6 is a very nice board and isn't bad at high FSB's but I think the GA-60XET-C boards are a force to be reckoned with.
What did Celemine1gig get his XET-C to? 180 mhz or so FSB? And i've seen this board at 200 mhz FSB on a few japaneese overclocking sites without using tricks such as external pll's or any modifications except perhaps a HSF or 2 on the mobo chipset.

Yes, it is true that my chip won't use any of the 1/5th or 1/6th pci dividers when using my Celeron 1.2 but my experiments with high FSB's when using P6 archatecture chips show that 'extremly' high FSB's don't do a great deal towards overall peformance on an Intel system. My Tualatin Celeron @ 1.5 gig @ 126 mhz FSB 'kills' my P3 1000EB @ 1200 mhz easily in any application.

Although the standard 100mhz FSB 'handbrake' on the Celeron Tualatin chips is 'very' limiting to their peformance, but that is easily fixed!

How the hell did you RMA your P3 without Intel noticing the 'hacksaw' damage on the chip?!:)

Hi,

I actually got it to boot at 200 MHz FSB with my P3 667 cC0-steping, but unfortunately just after having glued some heatsinks in place on the mobo, to cool the chipset and the soundchip, my P3 died on another mobo while testing (the mobo had a defective voltage regulator and killed my P3).
Now with my Celeron Tualatin 1,0 GHz A, Ican't manage those high FSB speeds.
Perhaps I'll get another 133 MHz FSB Pentium III Coppermine chip and try to get to stable 200 MHz FSB.

That's only my experience with the board and I have never owned any other Tualatin boards, so Abit, Iwill and Asus will be a good chioce,too, I think.

Flu!d said:
The St-6 is a very nice board and isn't bad at high FSB's but I think the GA-60XET-C boards are a force to be reckoned with.
What did Celemine1gig get his XET-C to? 180 mhz or so FSB? And i've seen this board at 200 mhz FSB on a few japaneese overclocking sites without using tricks such as external pll's or any modifications except perhaps a HSF or 2 on the mobo chipset.

Yes, it is true that my chip won't use any of the 1/5th or 1/6th pci dividers when using my Celeron 1.2 but my experiments with high FSB's when using P6 archatecture chips show that 'extremly' high FSB's don't do a great deal towards overall peformance on an Intel system. My Tualatin Celeron @ 1.5 gig @ 126 mhz FSB 'kills' my P3 1000EB @ 1200 mhz easily in any application.

Although the standard 100mhz FSB 'handbrake' on the Celeron Tualatin chips is 'very' limiting to their peformance, but that is easily fixed!

How the hell did you RMA your P3 without Intel noticing the 'hacksaw' damage on the chip?!:)

The least they could do was RMA it. I send alot of buisness their way! The chip is a PIII tualatin but runs a cache latency of 1. I am not bitching though :D Can you dig? Weird though that the chip runs a latency of 1 instead of 0. I am wondering if they saw the hack marks and simply sent me a chip that they could not sell just for sh*** and giggles? As I said the latency of the cache is 1 instead of 0. Intels data sheets specifically states that the latency is supposed to be 0. I am happy though that they replaced it anyway with all the crap I did to that chip. What a nightmare. O well it was the pioneer chip that helped most everyone here figure out how to remove the IHS. I was the first to do it but I kept my mouth shut for the shame of ruining a $320 chip.

As for IHS's? I never keep one on my chip for more than 1 hour any more when they come through my apt. I have now had 2 PIII 1.2GHz tualatins, 3 1.2GHz cel-t's and 1 1.0a cel-t. All have been excellent OC'rs. All have had the IHS removed. I gots it down to a science now! I will do a really good article maybe this weekend and see what you all think! One must remember that this technique will work also for the new northwood PIV's. That is the one I am interested in seeing without the IHS and the core next to a 3/8" piece of copper!

tainice said:
XET-C can also handle high pci without a problem, i run 163fsb, 40/80 with my two XET-C boards, and they all doing fine.

That ain't high! Try 180fsb with 1/4 dividers.

ol' man said:

That ain't high! Try 180fsb with 1/4 dividers.

i have tried as high as 171, my system loads ok; hoever very shaky, but in general, my chip won't do 171 stable (even with 1/5 divider). however, when you talking about those extreme cases, like 180f with 1/4 divider, board alone does not matter, for all components inside of the rig are also playing a critical role.

btw ol'man, what kind of cooling you are using to chill your chip in order to do 180f? for to me, anything higher than 170 is a no-no.

Abit ST6r rocks for its overclocking abilities with the Tualtion cpu's.
I'm just waiting to decide what HSF to use on my 1.10a, before I crank mine higher.

Back