• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rampage III Formula FALSE OC fails!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

:screwy:

My overclock is uncrashable. Burntest and P95 and uploads and downloads and netflix and 3 1080p youtube videos and mp3s and mp4s all at the same time indefinitely.

However.... sometimes when I shut down and then power back on the next day, I get OC FAILED.

However-- if I reload my OC profile, identically, I have a flawless overclock in windows and the bios takes it immediately and boots.

The only thing in my crosshairs ATM is my Mushkin blacklines. As we all know, Asus ram slots are like an evil ex girlfriend. When I first assembled (this is the umpteenth system I've built by the way) the system would only read one stick. I had to reseat all thee sticks to read them all. I believe there is a fundamental flaw in Asus (at least triple channel) RAM slots at the moment. At least with this iteration of motherboard.

I'll be inside the machine tommorow most likely to install a new soundcard at which point I'll reseat RAM with video.

theory: an issue relating to bios misreads or readback impatience (the RAM won't post at 1600Mhz fast enough, bios becomes concerned, clocks it back and claims the OC failed)

NOTE: When overclocked as in sig, system takes a suspiciously long time to post. Perhaps double stock. Since the 300 has no CASE SPEAKER <shame on you Antec I can not tell you if there is a post code relating to this.

^+1 to myself. I'm going on a mission for one tommorow. Or I might steal one from a known (old and stable) system...

I'd REALLY like to have an issue that someone can fix one of these days... :p
Frickin random obscure weird uncommon errors I get man...

Anyone on a ROG board getting false OC fails?

Update: Ok I think I've found a PC speaker I can steal from a disused case that's going to be trashed... I'll let you guys know what happens tonight.

Last edited:
I was unable to get a PC speaker...

I think the motherboard itself may have an issue. After re-seating the RAM I still get occasional OC failures (which are still false).

Last time I was in bios, upon exiting, I got screen garbage. Strange horizontal artifacting for a good 1/2 second that I've never seen when exiting a bios.

Update- so far have tried moving RAM around, reseating CPU, changing CMOS battery, Resetting CMOS (of course), moving PCIE frequency to 100 from 103..

OC still unbreakable in windows. That's the fundamental thing. If the hardware can run this OC uncrashably then there's something screwing with the POST...

Using latest bios (505) for RIIIF

Ideas appreciated.

Update-

I SEEM to have it fixed. 200x20 instead of 190x21 is making whatever was unhappy happy.

Last edited:
Back