• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changed RAM freq. and timings, now computer wont start, help please!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Addthefun123123

I have an intel dg33tl mobo, and my ram is supposed to run at 800mhz ddr2 (4gb), but while I was in the bios i changed the ram frequency to 1066 mhz and the timings to 7-7-7-21, and now my computer turns on the fans run, but my monitor shows no display, my hard drive light does not flash, and none of my peripherals like wireless keyboard+mouse work.

I unplugged the power cable, and took out the battery from the mobo for 30 minutes, and then placed it back in to do a bios reset, but my computer is still acting the way mentioned above. I also moved the jumper from pins 1 and 2 to 2 and 3 for 30 seconds and then back to pins 1 and 2, restarted my computer and still same problem. I know that the fact that I increased the ram frequency was the cause of this, but now I can't get back into my bios to fix it and the reset has not worked, is there any way I can fix this? Help me please?

naw, it wasnt you :) the computer is just testing your resolve.
the changes to the ram timing and overclocking are almost always retractable using the methods you have described.

Chances that you toasted something are very low too, it could be something else that Enjoyed being OFF of Defaults, that is now acting up a bit, or it could be just taking longer to figure itself out after the change.

Think, what changed when you went back to defaults?
onboard grafics or audio, that you had turned off now on?
onboard controller items that you had off that are now on?
Controller items that have defaulted from AHCI or RAID ?
USB legasy items , that are now on, and you got USB items plugged in.
Changes to the Boot order, get all the media out of the CDs or floppies.

give it longer times, sometimes a vide card can be a schmuck , so dont let it win, have it do a time out in the corner :) (wait longer for boot, say 10min max)
when that doesnt work , then start pulling stuff out :-( go back to 1 ram chip,and go back to the onboard video (if you have one).

go on the Mad seek for Clue items, if you have a PS2 keyboard with lock lights , do they flash?
if you have a visable red light on a PS2 connected mouse item is it on? does it dim?
does the hard drive sound like the OS is loading , just without a Video picture?
if you have onboard video did you stuff some monitor onto it, to see what is there?

Did you leave the Case and the hardware Completly Untouched? or were you messing around with other things at the same time?

Last edited:
naw, it wasnt you :) the computer is just testing your resolve.
the changes to the ram timing and overclocking are almost always retractable using the methods you have described.

Chances that you toasted something are very low too, it could be something else that Enjoyed being OFF of Defaults, that is now acting up a bit, or it could be just taking longer to figure itself out after the change.

Think, what changed when you went back to defaults?
onboard grafics or audio, that you had turned off now on?
onboard controller items that you had off that are now on?
USB legasy items , that are now on, and you got USB items plugged in.
Changes to the Boot order, get all the media out of the CDs or floppies.

give it longer times, sometimes a vide card can be a schmuck , so dont let it win, have it do a time out in the corner :)
when that doesnt work , then start pulling stuff out :-( go back to 1 ram chip,and go back to the onboard video (if you have one).

go on the Mad seek for Clue items, if you have a PS2 keyboard with lock lights , do they flash?
does the hard drive sound like the OS is loading , just without a Video picture
if you have onboard video did you stuff some monitor onto it, to see what is there?

Did you leave the Case and the hardware Completly Untouched? or were you messing around with other things at the same time?

The only thing I changed was the ram in the bios, afterwards I disconnected and reconnected my gpu and the battery on the mobo, I haven't touched anything else. The lights for the cd/dvd drive are flashing when it starts up, the fans work, but the hard drive light does not flash and the monitor just goes to sleep because it doesn't detect any input, but my lights for my peripherals are also out which means it probably isnt a gpu issue, and in fact my gpu is getting hot to the touch when I leave it on (without the monitor detecting any display)

Lights for what peripherals?
and of those items, would they light up only after they get init or do they light up only after the driver loads and the driver inits them, or will they light up anytime power is existing for them?

it sounds like your gpu is acting up, they love to do that , its thier job to torture you, they think it is a game , and they play games well :)

Lights for what peripherals?
and of those items, would they light up only after they get init or do they light up only after the driver loads and the driver inits them, or will they light up anytime power is existing for them?

it sounds like your gpu is acting up, they love to do that , its thier job to torture you, they think it is a game , and they play games well :)

well the peripherals like the wireless keyboard+mouse, the usb that connects to the mobo for it usually has lights on the tiny display, the one that is on top of the keyboard in this picture example(http://flourishcomputer.com/products/desktop/desktop_right/keyboardmouse/ms_std_wireless_combo.jpg).

Also, if my bios did reset, the only thing I can think of that would be wrong is that the HD wouldn't't run because it needs to be set specifically to raid mode,but I can't see the bios because of the display in order to change it to raid mode. Also, before I changed the ram frequency, I had changed my displayu from vga to hdmi, however, now I have tried both hdmi and vga, and the monitor still goes to sleep and thinks its not connected to a gpu....so maybe it is the gpu acting up, but I can't think of a way to fix this.

But the thing that also makes me think it cant be the gpu is that when I plug in the power and the first or 2nd time I power on with the button on the tower, it will start for a split second, turn off for 4 seconds and then turn back on and stay on...

I am also currently doing another attempt at a bios reset as i am typing this, I have taken out the battery for approx. 25 minutes as of this post, and will be putting it back in in about 10-15 minutes.

ohhh cripes, the raid, i hate when that happens, the OS can end up doing a checkdsk on the raid while it is seperate, which can make a mess of a raid0 system.

remember it can take Time for the gpu to init in a sitution like this, mine did that, and i was so intense on trying to get it to restart , I didnt notice that "At Some Time" in the process, it would have started up , if i had waited longer. (which is not a reason to wait an hour :)
Make sure that power cord going to the GPU was put back on, and all that other Stuff.

notes: i am not being anthropomorphic , computers were created by humans :)
i am going to edit in the Hard drive thing, into my other post, as another defaulting beasty.

ohhh cripes, the raid, i hate when that happens, the OS can end up doing a checkdsk on the raid while it is seperate, which can make a mess of a raid0 system.

remember it can take Time for the gpu to init in a sitution like this, mine did that, and i was so intense on trying to get it to restart , I didnt notice that "At Some Time" in the process, it would have started up , if i had waited longer. (which is not a reason to wait an hour :)
Make sure that power cord going to the GPU was put back on, and all that other Stuff.

notes: i am not being anthropomorphic , computers were created by humans :)
i am going to edit in the Hard drive thing, into my other post, as another defaulting beasty.

i did all that, waited for over 25 minutes, now attempted to start with a 2nd video card, still doesn't show up and monitor isnt detecting anything and lights still not flashing for wireless keyboard/mouse and HD

still not working the morning after, after I removed the cmos battery all night and tried 2 different gpus, all plugs for gpu are in the correct place, any ideas on whats wrong guys?

Follow the steps in Intel's "Troubleshooting system boot issues" tree, or use their online "No boot wizard"...

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010254.htm

thanks, unfortunately it didn't work, I think I may have an idea what is wrong though, After I removed all of my ram sticks, the mobo didn't beep, but everything else is still behaving the same way as in the first post. Is this likely a motherboard problem that would require me to get a new one? The only thing that has me worried is that after changing the bios, if it damaged my Hard Drive or GPU at all?

What didn't work? The third step in the tree has you troubleshoot memory issues. And what do you mean by "changing the BIOS"? If you're referring to resetting CMOS, then no... that wouldn't have damaged your HDD or videocard.

What didn't work? The third step in the tree has you troubleshoot memory issues. And what do you mean by "changing the BIOS"? If you're referring to resetting CMOS, then no... that wouldn't have damaged your HDD or videocard.

when I remove all my memory except for one, the computer doesn't make a beeping sound like it should, same if I remove all 4 memory sticks.

This is what happens exactly:

I plug in the power cable, the green light is on on the mobo, indicating power. I turn on the computer, sometimes it will turn itself off and then back on after 3 seconds on its own without me touching it at all. After it does turn on, the fans all run, I can hear the sounds I normally would hear if it was working (like hard drive sounds like it is working/turning) however, the monitor goes to sleep and the peripherals do not light up or work, and the hard drive lights on the case do not flash to indicate read/writing or anything.

remember all of this occurred only after I went into the bios and changed the ram frequency from 800mhz to 1066mhz, as well as the ram timings, so that is 90% likely the reason it isn't starting up, but I don't understand why after several cmos resets, it still doesn't show anything on my monitor or the peripherals. And yes I have also tried using the onboard vga, still didnt work.

when I remove all my memory except for one, the computer doesn't make a beeping sound like it should, same if I remove all 4 memory sticks.

This is what happens exactly:

I plug in the power cable, the green light is on on the mobo, indicating power. I turn on the computer, sometimes it will turn itself off and then back on after 3 seconds on its own without me touching it at all. After it does turn on, the fans all run, I can hear the sounds I normally would hear if it was working (like hard drive sounds like it is working/turning) however, the monitor goes to sleep and the peripherals do not light up or work, and the hard drive lights on the case do not flash to indicate read/writing or anything.

remember all of this occurred only after I went into the bios and changed the ram frequency from 800mhz to 1066mhz, as well as the ram timings, so that is 90% likely the reason it isn't starting up, but I don't understand why after several cmos resets, it still doesn't show anything on my monitor or the peripherals. And yes I have also tried using the onboard vga, still didnt work.

i have the same problem with you, then i browse some information but nothing helps..!! i changed my memory freq from 1066 to 1333 and then it won't boot, the cpu fan was running but there's no beep code at all and it shut suddenly after power on, so i remove the memory and plug it again but it still the same, the computer won't boot, but then i tried to remove the memory again and power the computer on and it beep several times *withno memory installed.. then i shut it down and installed my memory back and now it boot up !! i look up to the bios and i saw that every setup back to the original one, and also my memory setting became auto...:)

I looked at your MB manual and only shows Normal, Setup, and Recovery setting for the 3 pin header for the CMOS, it does not reset the CMOS, only the password. Try this, remove the battery and short the pins on the battery holder for about 5 sec then put battery in and see if that works.

Back