• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock X58 EXTREME6 LGA 1366 - BIOS Screens

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyGalaga

The first two screen shots are from the OC Tweaker screen. Going down the list, I'm trying to understand what these settings mean, but I don't seem to find anything online that explains them without assuming you already know stuff about computers.

For example, does anyone know what the "PCIE Frequency (MHz) [100]" setting is for? And where is the CPU multiplier 21x or 24x thing I keep reading about? I don't see that setting.

If I set Overclock Mode to Manual, then everytime I try to increase the BCLK Frequency (MHz), it automatically increases the DRAM Frequency in small increments. But don't I need the DRAM Frequency to just stay at [800MHz DDR3_1600] since that's what my memory is rated at (in my signature below)?

Attachments

• OC Tweaker 1.jpg
    OC Tweaker 1.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 3,661
  • OC Tweaker 2.jpg
    OC Tweaker 2.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 2,872
Last edited:
In the 2nd screenshot, you can see a lot of voltage settings that are all on Auto. How do I know that the motherboard is choosing the correct voltages? Should I set them myself, and how do I know what they should be? I don't understand all the abbreviations. When I think of voltage, I think of a positive wire and a negative wire, but memory and CPUs have a lot more than 2 leads. So how do I know which voltage is what?

And what's this SSD Performance Mode thing? The motherboard docs don't seem to explain it, and other settings aren't really explained at all. For example, the ASRock VDroop Control in the manual is simply described as

"Use this to enable or disable ASRock VDroop control. Configuration options: [With VDroop] and [Without VDroop]. The default value is [With VDroop]."

But it never actually explains what this is.

Last edited:
Next screen up for bid is Advanced > CPU Configuration. Is the CPU Ratio setting on the screen the same as the one on the OC Tweaker screen, or is this one something different?

It's a similar problem with these settings. For example, what's "Enhanced Halt State (C1E)"? How Do I tell if it's best to leave it enabled or not? The manual says:

"All processors support the Halt State (C1). The C1 state is supported
through the native processor instructions HLT and MWAIT and requires no
hardware support from the chipset. In the C1 power state, the processor
maintains the context of the system caches."

:shock: Hokay. That tells me nothing.

And "Interl (R) Visualization Tech." The manual that came with the motherboard says:

"When this option is set to [Enabled], a VMM (Virtual Machine Architecture)
can utilize the additional hardware capabilities provided by Vanderpool
Technology. This option will be hidden if the installed CPU does not support Intel (R) Virtualization Technology."

Are we all just supposed to know off hand what Vanderpool Technology is? So where do I begin? I'ev tried reading up on some stuff online, but it seems like nothing truly explains these things from scratch like you're in a college class. For example, I've looked over the miahallen guide that is often referred to on the forums, but it doesn't really hit home as far as explaining things clearly.

For example, on page 2 where it says

"Uncore frequency = bclock x uncore clock ratio

Uncore is everything on the die that is not “core”, primarily, the memory controller and the L3 cache. It’s important to note that the L3 cache performance can have a major performance impact in many applications..."

I'm already lost at that point. I don't even know what "L3 cache" means or what "everything on the die" is.

Attachments

• Advanced.jpg
    Advanced.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 2,493
  • Advanced - CPU Configuration 2.jpg
    Advanced - CPU Configuration 2.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 2,567
Another thing about miahallen. Under method #1 where it says:

"Begin by going into the bios and changing your voltage to your vid and setting qpi/uncore (vtt) to 1.25 (I have raised this due to concerns about droop at 1.2) and vdimm to 1.65 (Most boards can't do this 1.66 is safe, ignore your spaz bios warnings; you are not going to explode anything, although if you do, it's not my fault."

What is my "vid" and is "qpi/uncore (vtt)" the same thing as the VTT Voltage setting in the screenshot above? I see something else called QPI Frequency and Uncore Frequency in the BIOS settings, but I guess these aren't the same as "qpi/uncore (vtt)"?

Back