• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To Tell What The Auto Voltages Are Set At In The BIOS Settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyGalaga

Is there a way to see what voltages the motherboard is choosing if they're set to "Auto" in the BIOS settings? Before I start changing any of 'em, I wanna see what the starting point is so I know where to add or subtract from one increment at a time. I guess if you're trying to overclock, you're only supposed to adjust the CPU Voltage and DRAM Voltage settings and leave all the others alone? Is there a way to know what is considered the correct stock voltage for an i7 950 processor? The memory I have is rated at exactly 1.5V, but the the CPU shows a range of 0.800V-1.375V on the Newegg website.

Thanks.

Attachments

• OC Tweaker 2.jpg
    OC Tweaker 2.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 421
Great. Here's what I have with all those Auto settings.

Attachments

• snap001.bmp
    1.5 MB · Views: 393
It looks like the OC Tuner thing doesn't show a couple of the voltages that are in the BIOS screen, like ICH Voltage and IOH/ICH PCIE Voltage. If you want to overclock your machine, should we just leave those as Auto?

And, when I set the VTT Voltage to 1.540 volts in the BIOS, it changes it to a red color. Is that bad, or should I use a lower voltage?

Thanks.

Voltages like PLL, IOH, VTT offset, etc. are located under the Voltage Control tab. And why do you have VTT set to 1.54V, when at default clock it shouldn't be any higher than 1.15V?

Well, the VTT Voltage in the OC Tuner screenshot shows it's at 1.540 so I thought maybe that's where it's supposed to be in the BIOS? I never actually set that voltage before I ran OC Tuner. That was just what it's showing.

The voltage control tab shows the same 1.540 but a very different CPU voltage than the Hardware Monitor tab. And how do I know things like the VTT Voltage should be 1.15 etc.? Is there a list somewhere that shows what all the voltages are supposed to be normally?

Attachments

• snap001.bmp
    1.5 MB · Views: 392
Take the following voltages off Auto, and manually set them to the following...

Code:
Vdroop Control: Without Vdroop

CPU Voltage: 1.15V
CPU PLL: 1.82V
VTT Offset Voltage: + 0mV
ICH Voltage: 1.12V
IOH Voltage: 1.11V
IOH CSI Voltage: 1.12V
IOH/ICH PCIE Voltage: 1.52V

Enhanced Halt State: Disabled
SpeedStep: Disabled
TurboMode: Disabled
C-State Tech: Disabled

The VTT Voltage I have only lets you go down to 1.2000, so I guess I can't do the 1.15V. Is 1.2000V okay in that case? Is this "VTT Voltage" the same as the "VTT Offset Voltage"? It doesn't have anything showing "+ 0mV". And I don't see any turbo mode so I'm not sure how to disable it.

Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• IMG_1038.JPG
    IMG_1038.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 352
Now I'm getting delirious. This is crazy! The TurboMode appears to have dissapeared now! LOL. If it's not one thing, it's something else. In the other thread it was between the SpeedStep (tm) tech and C-State tech settings. But now look at this screenshot. It's no longer there! LOL. The earlier screenshot has 12 setings, but now I only have 10. :bang head

(And on a side note, you see how the setting "No-Execute Memory Protection" is highlighted in white? Notice how in the upper right it says "When disabled, force the XD feature flag to always return 0." Huh? :shock: Stuff like that is the kind of confusing gobbldygook I'm fighting here. Nothing makes sense.)

Attachments

• IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1039.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 532
Well, other than the Turbo Mode problem, I went ahead and tried booting up with your recommended settings. Just when Windows starts up, I get a quick blue screen of death for about a half second and then the machine reboots itself.

The BIOS lets you save 3 sets of user settings, and I have the original settings as #1 and the overclock settings as #2. So it's easy to switch back-and-forth during trial and error.

Figured it out!!! If the CPU Ratio is set to Auto, then the Intel (R) TurboMode tech setting magically re-appears. I also figured out that if Intel (R) SpeedStep(tm) tech is Disabled, then you also lose the Intel (R) TurboMode tech setting. Basically, if the CPU Ratio is set to anything other than Auto, - OR - , if Intel (R) SpeedStep(tm) is Disabled, then Intel (R) TurboMode tech will just simply disappear from the screen.

Everytime you change a setting, the BIOS screen does a little hiccup and blinks like it's resetting or something. Maybe that's how it sneakily hides Intel (R) TurboMode tech on you like that.

And it looks like the CPU Ratio setting that appears in both the OC Tweaker and Advanced > CPU Configuration screens is in fact the SAME CPU Ratio setting and not 2 different CPU Ratio settings.

Attachments

• IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 391
Well, here's what I did. I tried changing a few settings and was able to get the following results. Basically, I got the CPU sped up to 3450 MHz, but it comes at the expense of running my memory at only 750MHz DDR3_1500 even though it's rated for 1600 MHz.

So I guess that's it? You have to sacrifice memory speed to overclock a computer??? Somehow it doesn't seem worth it. I wish there was a way to just make it exactly the full 1600 MHz. When I try a BCLK Frequency of 160 MHz, I get an immediate blue screen of death as soon as Windows starts loading.

Attachments

• IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 342
  • snap002.bmp
    1.5 MB · Views: 380
Now if I try to push the settings up a little more and go for a 155 x 23 = 3,565 MHz overclock, I get an immediate blue screen of death as soon as Windows starts loading. Now I see people getting like 4+ GHz and I can't even break 3.6? What kind of settings should I be changing. I'm not trying for 4+ GHz or anything, but 3.6 or 3.7 would be nice. Here are the settings that crashed.

Attachments

• IMG_1046.JPG
    IMG_1046.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 353
Back