• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo downgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheBigGloom

Registered
ASUS makes good boards. It seems like the boards you're choosing between have the same features with the exception of the PCIExpress 2.0 Slots

The less expensive board will only allow one full-length video card whereas the more expensive one will allow two full length cards (albeit both cards running at half speed)

At this point it is really just a question of whether you would want to ever add another videocard. If in 6 months, you decide you want more video processing power, and you have the cheaper board, you'd be SOL and have to buy a new board. If you spend the extra $50 now, you leave yourself some room to upgrade in the future. I only say this because the videocard (and maybe now an SSD) is about the biggest performance increaser you can buy, and likely nets you the most performance per dollar.

Hope this helps

It seems like the boards you're choosing between have the same features with the exception of the PCIExpress 2.0 Slots

The less expensive board will only allow one full-length video card whereas the more expensive one will allow two full length cards (albeit both cards running at half speed)

At this point it is really just a question of whether you would want to ever add another videocard.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the detailed response, this definitely helps.

Do you think I will really be needing an upgrade in a mere 6 months? My intent was to make a build that will last for a few years. I know that higher performance parts will always be coming out but still.

Thanks for the detailed response, this definitely helps.

Do you think I will really be needing an upgrade in a mere 6 months? My intent was to make a build that will last for a few years. I know that higher performance parts will always be coming out but still.

It just depends on what types of things you plan on using your computer for. Regardless, it is best to maintain "upgradeability " where possible, especially for your graphics board. You may really be kicking yourself in even a year or so if all you need is the ability to play some newer games, but can't just add a second vid card. At that point you'd have to buy both a vid card and a mobo just to upgrade one part. Then you would be stuck with buying a mobo with basically the same specs as the more expensive one you spec'd out earlier. If it were more money, it'd be a tougher decision, but for $50, I'd come up with the money and buy the more expensive board now.

Just a suggestion, of course. You could be perfectly happy with your setup for a couple of years (it is a good build), but I'd hate to see you having to spend more later if you decide you need to upgrade

By the way, I think you'll be really happy with the Hyper 212+ cpu cooler. I used that unit before going under water on my current rig, and it kept my CPU temps very happy.

Back