• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DP55KG AND TURBO BOOST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paulb787

Registered
having a problem with turbo boost technology. here are my specs
Intel DP55KG Motherboard
i7 875 Unlocked Processor
8gb DDR3 Corsair Dominator XMP MODE 1600MHZ 1.65

Ok so heres my problem: I just noticed today that my turbo is maxing out at 3.2. It is supposed to be 3.6 and yes i have seen it that way. I go into the bios thinking it may be my memory or somthing.. i just recently upgraded from 4gb to 8gb. I slow my memory down to 1333mhz, and reboot with the same problem. I go back into the bios and look at the multipliers on turbo mode. they read 23 23 23 24 for all 4 cores. i then increased them to 27, and the problem now seems to be fixed. Is this safe to do? especially without a voltage increase.. but the odd thing is it seemed to always be that way untill today, and the only thing i remember is upgrading my memory. Input would be GREATLY APRRECIATED. I just dont want to FRY this thing.

XMP AND TURBO BOOST

Ok i have figured out this so far. it is my memory in XMP mode. when out of xmp mode it does indeed default back to 3.6 turbo. when i am using xmp mode it defaults to 3.2. I however changed this to wor both ways. is this safe. all i did was reboot the pc with xmp mode on and then change the turbo ratio back to 27 on all cores.

THANKS

You must note that there are different turbo modes.

Its max turbo freq is 3.6, but thats with only 1 core loaded and the rest idle. 3.2ghz is more than likely a 2 core or 4 core load turbo boost situation.

I would suggest getting a cpu stress tester like Orthos Stress test. then set the affinity to only the first core in the task manager. Have cpuz in the background running and set the the first core as well... start orthos and you will likely see 3.6ghz regardless of what u do in the bios.

Back