• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not happy with Dell's lack of information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twigglish

08:39:49 System Connected with Desiree P
08:39:54 Desiree P Welcome to Dell US Chat! My name is Desiree P and I will be your Dell.com Chat Expert. I can be reached at [email protected] or via voicemail at 1-800-379-3355 Ext-2160085.. How can I help you today?
08:39:59 Desiree P Hi Nathan. :)
08:40:55 Nathan Hey Desiree. I'm interested in buying a customized M17 but had some questions.
08:41:09 Desiree P I am glad that you chatted in today, I will be more than happy to help you. :)
08:41:14 Desiree P Please go ahead with your questions.
08:42:26 Nathan I might be missing something, but there doesn't seem to be many specifics when customizing. The hard drive page, for example. I will most likely want the 640GB SATA-II drive, but I would love to know who makes it. A model number would be great too.
08:42:49 Nathan The same for the RAM, the speakers and optical drive.
08:44:04 Desiree P You mean the brand name for those components?
08:44:38 Nathan Correct. Model numbers would be great as well, so I can lookup the specific item and not just the company.
08:46:20 Desiree P We do not have the info here for the brand name of the components since it will also depends on the product availability. For the hard drive, it can be Maxtor, Western digital.
08:47:07 Nathan Ouch. Ok, and if I replace the hard drive myself, I assume this would void the warranty?
08:47:45 Desiree P You can Install Additional Hardware or Software on a Dell Computer Without Voiding the Warranty . Adding software, external devices, accessories, or parts to your Dell computer after it has been shipped from Dell will not void Dell's limited warranty.
08:47:50 Desiree P However, Dell's limited warranty does not cover damage due to external causes, such as problems caused by the use or parts and components not supplied or installed by Dell.
08:48:59 Nathan You say external. I'm talking about the internal drive specifically.
08:50:00 Desiree P It will not void the warranty as long it doesn't cause why there is a problem on the system.
08:51:44 Nathan Ok, got it. I really think the lack of information about the internal components will be a deal breaker for me. That's not a fault on your part, of course, just the whole building process in general.
08:51:59 Desiree P It will not cover if the problem is cause by installing the drive.
08:52:13 Nathan I can't risk spending $5,000 on a laptop and wind up with weak RAM or a Maxtor hard drive.
08:53:10 Desiree P I understand but you cannot choose the brand for the internal parts since that will depend on the product availability. But I assure that you will be getting a good quality system here.
08:53:15 Desiree P Do you want me to review what you have built online to make sure you have everything you need?
08:54:50 Nathan No, the only thing missing from what I need is the information on the internal components. I understand that you cannot provide that, so you can let Dell know that the loss of a buyer here is due to the lack of information on their part. I thank you for your time, and you answered all of my questions.
08:55:15 Desiree P Thanks and I will just take note of that.
08:55:29 Desiree P Do you need anything else clarified or addressed, before I let you go?
08:55:42 Nathan Nope, that's it. Have a good night Desiree!

I do like that even if I replace the hard drive, RAM, etc it's covered in the warranty. As long as I can prove that any issues that arise are not due to the component.
But come on. Alienware is suppose to tailored to the enthusiasts like ourselves, but you can't even tell me the manufacturer of the components? Model NO was just me reaching for the stars, but I should really be able to get the manufacturer names.
Edit: I was pretty sure you couldn't buy the system without certain components, but I went back to the chat to verify. I was right.

Last edited:
dell used to be a good company for business but i hate them now there customer service is horrible 9 out of 10 times

Nothin' wrong with Maxtor, it's just Seagate, and I don't think they even sell under that brand any more anyway.

I never liked Dell. Knew someone that worked at one of their facilities building computers and he said it was basically a sweat shop.

The manufacturers Dell uses....

Motherboard: Foxconn (who also makes Intel branded boards), Hannstar if it's a laptop (they also go with foxconn on some laptop models, too).
RAM: ????? either hynix or samsung chips
HDD: Either Seagate, Hitachi, WD (havent seen any in a while I wonder why ;-)), Fujitsu, Toshiba.
Video Card: ???? possibly foxconn
PSU: Delta
Optical Drives: LG/Hitachi or Samsung or Toshiba

I've heard that dell assembles their computers in China and not in the USA anymore, not sure though.

Acer/Gateway/Emachines use ECS for their motherboards.

I think that HP still uses Asus for their motherboards.

Last edited:
Back