• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P6X58D Prem SATA 6Gb HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svoltmer

Registered
I have my primary SATA drive installed on one of the SATA 6Gb motherboard connectors on my new Asus P6x58D Premium mobo, but windows 7 says that the block size is set wrong and I don't know how to change it as it only shows the SATA 3 drives in the separate Marvel controller at startup. It is listed and it states that it is a 1TB SATA 6Gb drive. Just don't see any place to change the block size in the BIOS. Help?

What are you trying to do, format / initialize / create a basic partition within the Disk Management snap-in? Post a pic. / screenshot of of the dialog that states the block size is incorrect.

I would just connect the HDD to one of the ICH10R SATAII ports and see what happens. You won't see a performance difference by using SATAII on a SATAIII HDD since they don't come anywhere close to saturating SATAII.

I was running Sandra lite and running a check of all drives it flags my primary HD:

Warning W3105 - Current block size not optimal, i.e. not highest supported. This affects transfer performance.

Fix: Check BIOS settings and set block size to maximum. Some advanced controllers allow you to set such settings also.

Also..Windows experience index states it as a 5.9 due to low transfer rate

Attachments

• Sandra.jpg
    Sandra.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 331
I changed the HD to one of the SATA 2 ports and it still says that it is not the optimal block size for this device and to change in BIOS to maximum. Where in BIOS?

That warning in Sandra has been around for years. The default block size, or cluster size in Win7 is 4k on a NTFS formatted volume, which you can check by typing the following at the command prompt...

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo C:

... which should show Bytes Per Cluster as 4096.

Back