• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock an old P4 prescott!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mereketengue

good day,

i have a P4 prescott 2,4ghz and i Overclocked by fsb to 2,8 with stock cooling, temps were idle 46 load 60, is it ok??? my MOBO is a ASRock p4vm800

also im having problems when i play any games (Urban Terror, NFS:W) with the OC the graphics go away even tough the computer is running well:shock:.. does it have anything to do with the card? Graphic card is RADEON 9200 xD...

ps: sorry for my english, im venezuelan :attn:xD, also i would apreciatte help if u need any more details please let me know, i really need help, im new at this so do u have any suggestions????:confused:

I suspect it's because the p4vm800 does not have a PCI lock. When you overclock the FSB, it overclocked everything else, causing your instability.

Thanks Duner!!!

but i had it running at 2,8 for almost one month before it started showing errors... i also have a pci wifi card that seems to work fine...
ps: video is agp... does it matter????

AGP bus is also linked to the PCI bus. Also harddrives. Different components have different tolerances to high PCI frequencies.

I suggest setting things a default and running Prime95 to stress test CPU, then try running Furmark to stress GPU. Repeat with your overclocked settings and see which fails. A run of memtest wouldn't hurt either at stock/overclocked settings.

i ran the memtest and the Prime95 test with and without OC it showed no errors but apparently furmark is not compatible with Radeon 9200, (Too old xD) its just from 9600 up...
do u know any other test i can run on the graphic card???

thx!!!

Hmm, with a card like that, you could try 3Dmark2001SE. It'd probably stress that 9200 quite a bit.

Back