• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap p67 for icing $130?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huskernation

I really want to build a k2500 system but have to go cheap. I am ok with just one video card so does anyone know if any of the boards in the $130 range will overclock well. I have read many board reviews but can't find anything on these cheap boards. Msi and Giga both have boards in this range.

I would say look at reviews for the higher end boards and then check the manufacture's website to see if the lower end boards keep the important features.

For example the Asus P8P67 Pro ($190) reviewed/OCed well and the regular Asus P8P67 ($160) keeps most (all?) of the important OC features including the 12+2 phase cpu power so it would be reasonable to expect similar OC results. Asus doesn't seem to list the number of power phases for the still cheaper ($140) LE board.

Here is a decent roundup of boards: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p67-motherboard-roundup-lga-1155-sandy-bridge,2837.html

I would say look at reviews for the higher end boards and then check the manufacture's website to see if the lower end boards keep the important features.

For example the Asus P8P67 Pro ($190) reviewed/OCed well and the regular Asus P8P67 ($160) keeps most (all?) of the important OC features including the 12+2 phase cpu power so it would be reasonable to expect similar OC results. Asus doesn't seem to list the number of power phases for the still cheaper ($140) LE board.

Here is a decent roundup of boards: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p67-motherboard-roundup-lga-1155-sandy-bridge,2837.html

I would like to get the Asus Pro but might be a bit too much. The one thing I have found is that the $130 boards seem to have 8 phase power instead of 12. I just have not found any reviews as of yet about overclocking on these cheaper boards. I may end up with the regular P8P67 but would still like to go a little cheaper if it will get the job done. I would like to get the k2500 to around 4.5.

I know its hard to do, but you could wait to make your purchase for some more reviews to pop up. It could save you some money in the long run.

It may not take that long to see if power phases matter, I know a few members have posted that they got boards with as few as 6 phases, so if they end up posting in the next week or so some successful overclocks then...

I know its hard to do, but you could wait to make your purchase for some more reviews to pop up. It could save you some money in the long run.

It may not take that long to see if power phases matter, I know a few members have posted that they got boards with as few as 6 phases, so if they end up posting in the next week or so some successful overclocks then...

That's not a bad idea. I don't need it right away. I will keep watching for reviews. I noticed the price on the k2500 dropped $5 on newegg from yesterday so maybe some board deals will pop up as well.

Since overclocking is not bclk limited and you only use the multiplier to overclock (I assume thats what you meant by icing in the thread title), just about any mobo will do...

Back