• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Solved] My first and last purchase at Xoxide...RIP Yate Loon's.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

y0bailey

Ordered some additional Yate Loon's from Xoxide. The arrived after being shipped promptly...however they arrived in the worst packaging ever (yellow padded envelope with no additional padding) and 3 of the 4 were broken. It looked like they spent ZERO effort packing the fans.

3 days later, no response to my emails or RMA requests.

Sorry Xoxide, never again. Maybe someone will read this and save themselves a few bucks.

xI4r6.jpg

Wow, Fan Homicide by UPS.

That took some effort.

Test the good one, I'll bet it vibrates like crazy now.

It came VIA FedEx...but if you saw the packaging you would know it was 100% Xoxide's fault. I couldn't have put those in the back seat of my car and drove around for half a day without something breaking. Literally just 4 fans thrown in an a padded envelope (the "padding" is 1 layer of tiny bubble wrap).

I haven't even plugged the good one in yet...I am waiting to hear from Xoxide before I touch anything...if they ever get back to me. Newegg has spoiled me with their customer service.

It came VIA FedEx...but if you saw the packaging you would know it was 100% Xoxide's fault. I couldn't have put those in the back seat of my car and drove around for half a day without something breaking. Literally just 4 fans thrown in an a padded envelope (the "padding" is 1 layer of tiny bubble wrap).

I haven't even plugged the good one in yet...I am waiting to hear from Xoxide before I touch anything...if they ever get back to me. Newegg has spoiled me with their customer service.

newegg isn't the only one, ppcs, sidewinder and jab all have excellent service (can't speak for others...those are the one's i've delt with)

/devil's advocate

I recently purchased some 80mm Scythe SFlex fans from Newegg, and they were packaged in exactly the same way: a padded envelope made of single layer bubble wrap. My fans arrived via UPS in perfect condition. Granted, Scythe fans come individually packaged in a tiny box, but that is no real protection against shipping damage. I think the fault lies less with Xoxide and more with the shipping company.

Last edited:
Going to have to massively disagree with you here. Imagine the corner of a fan hitting the fan blades directly. Now imagine the corner of a fan box hitting another fan box. Big difference. Having the blades wide in the open with no protection from the 3 other fans = instant death.

Xoxide packaging is to blame.

And I have to disagree with you in turn. The Scythe "boxes" are open-faced. They are not made of corrugated cardboard but rather thickened paper like tag board. And the sides of the "box" are form-fitting around all sides of the fan, there is no further insulation from damage. The "box" is not there for protection, it's there for pretty marketing and packaging and that's part of why the SFlex fans cost as much as they do.

The Scythe "box" offers negligible at best additional protection compared to a bare fan. While Xoxide (and Newegg) might be wiser to use an actual box instead of a padded envelope, I still contend that more of the blame falls on the shipping company.

I also think that if you call Xoxide and get someone on the phone they will make this right.

:shrug:

Having worked for UPS in a past life (about 5 years ago), I can 1000% guarantee they will do no reimbursement for this terrible of a pack job. Not only that, but FedEx shipped the package....heh.

The shipping company might not, but I (and others responding in this thread) think that Xoxide will make it right when you get in touch with them.

It's the weekend. They're probably half drunk watching football playoffs. Try again tomorrow and Tuesday and see if the situation doesn't change.

Well, there is another reason to not buy them.

This is purely the fault of Xoxide. I would never package fans like this, and no one should. I don't care what anyone says, if I got fans shipped to me like this, I would be furious; regardless of who I bought it from.

when i got my san aces from ppc's, they came INDIVIDUALLY wrapped in bubble wrap within a box. I would never recommend anyone buy fans from newegg, especially since i know that that's how they're shipping them. There is a level of torture that you have to plan for when you ship things, they're not gonna be handled daintily (I worked production over the summer, you don't understand quite how little people care about others' stuff until you're packaging stuff for others with people who've made a career of it), they're gonna get thrown around some, you have to expect that and pack with that in mind.

I got a fan over packed.

I got a san ace fan from ebay. Now, this was one of the 120L fans that come as IBM server parts, so it was already in a heavy duty steel case.

When it arrived, I expected a small box.. but no, I could fit a whole motherboard in there, and it was packed in that expanding foam stuff. Here was the auction... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...CYplfy1PUvUqZsb5wk%3D&viewitem=#ht_2292wt_905

So to see a normal fan in a padded envelope.... I don't think thats how it should be done.

I got a fan over packed.

I got a san ace fan from ebay. Now, this was one of the 120L fans that come as IBM server parts, so it was already in a heavy duty steel case.

When it arrived, I expected a small box.. but no, I could fit a whole motherboard in there, and it was packed in that expanding foam stuff. Here was the auction... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...CYplfy1PUvUqZsb5wk%3D&viewitem=#ht_2292wt_905

So to see a normal fan in a padded envelope.... I don't think thats how it should be done.

oh man you got a steal on that thing...

Moved to vendor discussion.

I find the packaging of those fans in a padded envelope to be woefully inadequate and the results of the shipping bear this out. The vendors I buy from, Jab-tech, Sidewinder Computers, PTS, SVC and CrazyPC, always package in a box with plenty of peanuts in the package to keep everything safe. I just ordered some fans from Jab-tech a week or so ago and the 7 fans were packed securely in a cardboard box with plenty of peanuts. 2 of them were 120 X 20 mm Yate Loon fans and neither of them arrived with broken blades. And the Yates I've bought from PTS were all packaged inside a plastic holder (like they attach shipping manifests with) before being stuck inside the box and having peanuts added to cushion everything.

I really hope that Xoxide makes good on their obviously shoddy packaging that ruined those fans. Nowadays, when you ship something you have to make sure you take every precaution from the package handling monkeys working with all the shipping companies.;)

Back