• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

POS mobo gonna ruin my computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kenio8185

My computer has been freezing a fair bit lately. Like it doesn't matter what I'm doing, the computer will just freeze requiring me to do a hard reset. A few times, it's even frozen while I was just logging in. ******* (not sure if swearing is allowed on this forum) stupid HP computer, I wish I knew to avoid those things before I bought this.

Anyways, ya, the problem. Supposedly, from people in another forum, the voltage for my CPU is ridiculously high. Here's a pic of it I got from some software:
http://i.min.us/ibRfck.jpg

I was told that it should be around 1.2-1.25, it's currently hovering at 1.68-1.70.

I tried going into the bios to lower the voltage for my CPU, but there's no option in the bios to do that. Here's my mobo info:

Board: PEGATRON CORPORATION Benicia 1.01
Bus Clock: 1333 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 5.35 12/16/2008

Anyways, can anyone help me figure the issue out. I need to figure out how to lower the voltage before the computer dies.

I'm thinking some software to possibly do it, but google has given me little result for that. So, can someone help me out here? I think I've provided whatever info you'll need, but if you need more, don't hesitate to ask.

it will really help to list the rest of the hardware, I don´t think pegatron is the name of the board

CPUz screenshot of the Motherboard tab will clear the question up. Then people in the know can go in and help you out.

Pegatron seems to be the OEM branch of ASUS...

EDIT
Is this your Motherboard?

2me1ldz.jpg

Last edited:
it will really help to list the rest of the hardware, I don´t think pegatron is the name of the board

Well, here's everything from CPU-Z:
http://i.min.us/ied7BU.png

I remember there was a command you could put into run and get the hardware to show, but I can't remember what that command was. Hopefully this will help though.

CPUz screenshot of the Motherboard tab will clear the question up. Then people in the know can go in and help you out.

Pegatron seems to be the OEM branch of ASUS...

EDIT
Is this your Motherboard?

2me1ldz.jpg

I'm not sure. There's too much crap in the way in the tower for me to get a good look at it (by crap, I mean like slots for HDD's, wires, RAM, etc...

intel Q8200 specs Ya that voltage is way high looking at intels specs. Sorry don't run the Blue team much.

I haven't used a Micro ATX board before but looking at your board and a Micro they don't look the same on the hole count and lay out maybe someone else could chime in here. I know the Dell I had used a proprietary case so I could not use an aftermarket board when mine went up in smoke, so I had to buy a case/motherboard and transfer what I could.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be more help but if its out of warranty and pushing that high on the voltage its days are numbered and you may want to turn it off until you get a definite answer or replace the board to save a $$$ cpu from being cooked by a board that can be replaced for $50 to $60.

Well... That can't be your board anyway. That one is AM2+ socket for AMD, so it definitely can't be your motherboard.

What's the model of your HP computer?

Well... That can't be your board anyway. That one is AM2+ socket for AMD, so it definitely can't be your motherboard.

What's the model of your HP computer?

System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: NC816AA-A2L m9528c

Good catch SebaS I never even looked at that I was paying attention to the holes for mounting to see if it was standard or proprietary.

Look for swollen capacitors near the CPU area. If you see any that are bulging at the top or leaking brown fluid, then your motherboard is failing and requires a replacement asap.

You can easily replace it with an Asus p5KPL-AM EPU as that has the same chipset you listed earlier - so no need to reinstall the OS & programs, should fire right up.

Look for swollen capacitors near the CPU area. If you see any that are bulging at the top or leaking brown fluid, then your motherboard is failing and requires a replacement asap.

You can easily replace it with an Asus p5KPL-AM EPU as that has the same chipset you listed earlier - so no need to reinstall the OS & programs, should fire right up.

I will totally consider this. I checked the price off NCIX, and it's only about $50, plus I have a friend that bought so much off NCIX that he gets a 15% discount off anything he gets there now, so I can maybe use that as well (or at least, that's what he tells me). Thanks.

Well...
Here's the HP page for your computer model.
HP Pavilion Elite m9528c Desktop PC

You may want to see if there is a newer BIOS for your Motherboard and update your BIOS.

If that doesn't work...
I'm not 100% sure, but wouldn't something like CPU Tweaker allow the OP to adjust the voltage?
I checked if there's an update for my BIOS, there wasn't. As for CPU Tweaker, I'm a little scared of using a program like that. However, I'll do my research on it, maybe I can get it to fix my problem. Thanks.

Just curious, before I go out and buy that mobo that someone suggested, is it possible that something else is causing this problem?

Just curious, before I go out and buy that mobo that someone suggested, is it possible that something else is causing this problem?

Yeah; it could be a bad reading from the software. I'd actually find that far more likely than a factory motherboard overvolting the CPU by 40%...

Edit : as a side note, if you're using the OEM copy of Windows that came with the HP, you're no longer legally entitled to use it after you replace the motherboard. The license is bound to the HP OEM equipment. You could possibly get it to activate, but it's technically not legal. ;)

Yeah; it could be a bad reading from the software. I'd actually find that far more likely than a factory motherboard overvolting the CPU by 40%...

Edit : as a side note, if you're using the OEM copy of Windows that came with the HP, you're no longer legally entitled to use it after you replace the motherboard. The license is bound to the HP OEM equipment. You could possibly get it to activate, but it's technically not legal. ;)

I don't get it, what software is doing the bad reading?

Also, I'm using a "different copy" of windows then the one that originally came with my computer and managed to activate that, so I think I'll be fine in respect to that.

As I see it unless this is just a BIOS error something needs to be done soon. A MB and a OS is a helluva lot cheaper then a whole new system.

Back