• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Ivy bridge... still uses socket 1155... but needs new board...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatter256

Special Member
http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/21621-ivy-bridge-22nm-sticks-with-socket-1155

The Ivy Bridge 22nm story gets even better. The new chip is socket LGA 1155 and it is socket compatible with the existing Sandy Bridge processors and Sugar Bay 2011 platform. Unfortunately we are quite sure that Cougar point PCH chipset of Sandy Bridge won’t support the new 22nm Ivy Bridge.

We are afraid that you will still need a new board. Even the Panther point PCH chipset is pin compatible with Cougar Point chipset of Sandy Bridge, but again this might help board manufactures to make boards faster, but end users will need to buy a new board.

Ivy Bridge is expected to come out next year, around January 2012.... wow how things change so fast...

One release per year seems fairly standard. There have probably been times where its been slower or even faster. A year from now everyone will be talking about Haswell.

It is kind of anoying that intel keeps breaking compatability, but I guess there isn't much that can be done about it...

They wont be able to get much smaller soon! Unless they come up with radical new technology.. What am I saying of course they will come up with something :p

They wont be able to get much smaller soon! Unless they come up with radical new technology.. What am I saying of course they will come up with something :p

Yup. Just like every other shrink. You do have to wonder if it will ever stop though. Alot of people seemed to think so back when they made the switch from measuring in micrometers to nanometers. I guess it was a phycological thing.
We're at 0.25μm, we can't get any smaller.
We're at 0.18μm we can't get any smaller!
We're at 0.13μm we can't get any smaller!?!
Oh my God! 0.09μm!! The world has ended!! :shock:
Oh? what? thats 90nm. Its cool guys we can do 65nm, 45nm, 32nm, ...

Yup. Just like every other shrink. You do have to wonder if it will ever stop though. Alot of people seemed to think so back when they made the switch from measuring in micrometers to nanometers. I guess it was a phycological thing.

:thup:

nanotec

We are already using nanoprocessors
the time of micro is over - the nano technology is here!
AND it will stop at 5nm
:comp:

Back