• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASRock P67 Extreme 4 with Thermaltake Frio?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheBigGloom

Registered
Do you guys think that the Thermaltake Frio heatsink would block my RAM slots on my ASRock P67 Extreme4? I'd be using the G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR1600, which come with heatspreaders.

I've really been bugging out about this. Thanks

After looking at my setup, Asrock p67 ext 4, scyth ninja 2, 4x2gb corsair xms3.
Yes it it will work for you but due the the gskills protruding heatsinks, you will have to mount the fan a bit higher on that side, probably around a -5mm ofset. the other fan will be fine.

As the ram I have has a standard heatsink, my fan sit over the top without a problem with a ~3mm clearance.

After looking at my setup, Asrock p67 ext 4, scyth ninja 2, 4x2gb corsair xms3.
Yes it it will work for you but due the the gskills protruding heatsinks, you will have to mount the fan a bit higher on that side, probably around a -5mm ofset. the other fan will be fine.

As the ram I have has a standard heatsink, my fan sit over the top without a problem with a ~3mm clearance.

I'm sorry but I really don't know what you mean by -5mm offset. This is my first time building and I really want to have an easy process. Does this require some type of mod? Thanks friend.

ok so your heatsink has 2 fans on either side. the fan on the left will fit fine, however the fan on the right may hit the top of the gskills ram. if this is the case it will mean that you need to fiddle with the right fan and fix is in a slightly higer position (~5mm higher) or you could just run it with the left hand fan. It will not be difficult to fit the fan on the right in a slightly differt position you will just need to improvise with elastic bands, tape or whatever you have to hand.

ok so your heatsink has 2 fans on either side. the fan on the left will fit fine, however the fan on the right may hit the top of the gskills ram. if this is the case it will mean that you need to fiddle with the right fan and fix is in a slightly higer position (~5mm higher) or you could just run it with the left hand fan. It will not be difficult to fit the fan on the right in a slightly differt position you will just need to improvise with elastic bands, tape or whatever you have to hand.

Would it be acceptable for me to just get a RAM that doesn't have heatspreaders?

if you go for ram without the tooth like heatsink you will have no problem fitting the fan over the ram.

I'll try and explain a bit better;

your heatsink is 98mm wide, looking at my setup and mesuring 10cm i can see that this will not touch the ram at all, but when you put the fans on, I think, they add another 25mm (each side) so it will sit over the ram. for me, my heasink is much wider and the fan sits over all 4 ram modules with a gap of~5mm so i think the teath on the fancy ram may hit the bottom of the fan.

the 775 hols on the MB is at a slight angle so the top of the cooler will be slightly closer to the ram, even taking this into account I don't think you will have any problems.

If you go for the fancy ram, mounting the fan 5mm higher than it should is an easy job and should take 1-15min.

one other thing when fitting the heatsink is that the fixing hole (top, left) is obscured by the L shaped heatsink on the MB, my cooler has the pushpin fittings and it took a bit of time to get it to fit, take your time and you will be fine. the other three were very easy.
I recommend fitting the heatsink on the MB before putting it in the case, it will make life much easier.

if you go for ram without the tooth like heatsink you will have no problem fitting the fan over the ram.

I'll try and explain a bit better;

your heatsink is 98mm wide, looking at my setup and mesuring 10cm i can see that this will not touch the ram at all, but when you put the fans on, I think, they add another 25mm (each side) so it will sit over the ram. for me, my heasink is much wider and the fan sits over all 4 ram modules with a gap of~5mm so i think the teath on the fancy ram may hit the bottom of the fan.

the 775 hols on the MB is at a slight angle so the top of the cooler will be slightly closer to the ram, even taking this into account I don't think you will have any problems.

If you go for the fancy ram, mounting the fan 5mm higher than it should is an easy job and should take 1-15min.

one other thing when fitting the heatsink is that the fixing hole (top, left) is obscured by the L shaped heatsink on the MB, my cooler has the pushpin fittings and it took a bit of time to get it to fit, take your time and you will be fine. the other three were very easy.
I recommend fitting the heatsink on the MB before putting it in the case, it will make life much easier.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation, I think I understand now. I might as well just drop the "fancy" ram and get regular ones. You don't think getting 2x4 DDR1600 RAM without the heatspreaders will make a big difference, right? I'm pretty sure the RAM is already overkill being that I won't be doing any video editing or anything. With 8 gigs I don't think I'll need to overclock them...

I got 4x2gb1600mhz and now I wish I'd got 2x2gb 2133mhz, for gaming you will get more fps. it seems 8gb is a bit overkill at the moment.

I've been looking at the Extreme 4 and the Extreme 6, and was wondering what / if any limitations the Extreme 4 has on its PCIE lane usage. For eg does using the x4 slot affect the x1 slots, or the USB3 controller or the Marvell controlled SATA ports?

There's only about $40 difference in price between the two boards here in Aus, but the Ex6 seems to suffer from layout problems, like the top x1 slot being blocked by the heatsink and the front USB header being directly underneath the x4 slot, so if the Extreme4 board doesn't have lane sharing problems it may be a better buy?

Back