• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fastest settings for Asus P6T + Core i7 940??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kidfrombrooklyn

Registered
here are a few details of this system - I built it myself, the case is 6 years old, some drives are older than that. but it's still running like a champ.
current settings:

core i7 940 OC'd to 3.8 ghz
12 gb 1600mhz RAM 7-8-7-24
multiplier 19
bclk 204
cpu voltage 1.46
cooler master v8 air cooling cpu
cooler master silent pro 1000w psu
nvidia gtx 480

I recently got the nvidia gtx 480, and after a few crashes and some tests realized my three year old 700W psu wasn't enough. So I got a coolermaster 1000W, it's been running great so far.

My question is: how far can I push this cpu with this power supply? anyone have a similar setup? I use this mainly for 3D rendering and after effects

Will I be able to go over 4.0 ghz with this card + psu? My old card, a quadro 3800, drew barely 200 W so I could overclock it well. not sure how far I can push it with the 480 drawing over 600W.

thanks!

here are a few details of this system - I built it myself, the case is 6 years old, some drives are older than that. but it's still running like a champ.
current settings:

core i7 940 OC'd to 3.8 ghz
12 gb 1600mhz RAM 7-8-7-24
multiplier 19
bclk 204
cpu voltage 1.46
cooler master v8 air cooling cpu
cooler master silent pro 1000w psu
nvidia gtx 480

I recently got the nvidia gtx 480, and after a few crashes and some tests realized my three year old 700W psu wasn't enough. So I got a coolermaster 1000W, it's been running great so far.

My question is: how far can I push this cpu with this power supply? anyone have a similar setup? I use this mainly for 3D rendering and after effects

Will I be able to go over 4.0 ghz with this card + psu? My old card, a quadro 3800, drew barely 200 W so I could overclock it well. not sure how far I can push it with the 480 drawing over 600W.

thanks!

Hey dude, I have the same motherboard and cooler. I think you can keep going as long as the temps are normal. I wouldn't exceed 70 degrees under load, otherwise you might shorten the lifespan of your cpu. Turning Hyper-threading off will allow you to go a bit further...

You have enough PSU now...

Good luck!

That 480 isn't drawing 600w. That 600w is what they recomend for the whole system. you have plenty of power to oc to whatever your system can do even if you add another 480.

Ok the base clock and voltage settings I got by random trial and error. temps are solid at 60c under load, but it keeps crashing above 3.8 gHZ. I'd love to hear some specific settings people use with this combo

I guess it doesn't draw a full 600 you're right. but with the seven hard drives, USB devices, etc I'm sure I was maxing out the 700. I haven't had one crash since I upgraded the psu

can you give it a shot to blck 190, multiplier 21?

it boots up ok but will not survive 5 minutes in a run with prime95. I did get it to boot into windows at 4.3 gHz

Now how can I keep it stable?

the fastest I've gotten it stable is BCLK 198 x 19 multi - 3.8 gHz

temps are maxing out at 75c which is pushing it already, but I'm ok with it. I don't want to push the temps any higher though. does this seem too high for this cpu / coolermaster V8 combo? The temps have definitely gone up 10-15c since I installed the gtx 480

voltage on the cpu is 1.444

is this too much voltage? not enough? I have left all other settings on auto

hyperthreading is off, as are most unecessary bios functions

Back