• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The "oven trick" works on motherboards too

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gregmacknass

So as you can guess from the title I got a little bored tonight. I have a couple EVGA 680i boards laying around (who doesn't) collecting dust. Had a few spare parts, and figured that all I needed was a board. Then the idea of the video card baking came to mind, and I was like what the hell. The board had a bad memory controller, and would not boot into windows so it was used to test (post) possibly fried components to see if they still worked (without risking new boards).

So I removed the NB-SB cooler. I removed the bios chip, and the battery. I pre heated the oven to 385. Baked it for 8 min. I placed aluminum foil o a cookie sheet, and set the board face down on the foil. I opened the oven door after the 8 min. and let it cool for 15 min. before removing it. Put it into the parts bin computer, and she is running as strong as it ever has before.:rofl:

So maybe this is what they do with boards when you RMA them:D

-Greg

Well smack my *** and call me Judy. Is there anything the oven trick can't be used on? I have a moody evga 680i too, will give this a whirl.

I also have a King Charles spaniel that has been acting up lately. Will try the oven trick and get back with results asap.

lol I should of tried that with my first gigabyte board Z68x-ud4 it was starting to behave erratically first usb's worked then didnt then whammo the death blow for it the lan port died.

Back