• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Rampage III BLACK aka UBER Extreme III

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
More than 450. It's an RIIIE, plus a Xonar Essence STX, plus a Bigfoot Killer LAN equivalent in a box.
I like the idea. Let's take 3 things someone who's really hardcore would buy anyways, and put them in the same box.
The board still has the onboard Intel LAN solution too!

The XonarSTX is stupidly good. So I look forward to this. Not that I'll buy it as I already have a Rampage 3 Formula and the STX. Debating the killer NIC. Not any time soon though.

Nah, $450 seems about right. Even that sounds high though for a motheboard targeted at gamers. But only time will tell.

Nah, $450 seems about right. Even that sounds high though for a motheboard targeted at gamers. But only time will tell.

The Rampage III extreme launched at over 350.

Board + $200 sound card + $60 NIC = $610 seperate

Realistically I don't see this below 480 or 500. Otherwise they're not making a huge amount of cash on it. At least it'll launch that high IMO.

The Rampage III extreme launched at over 350.

Board + $200 sound card + $60 NIC = $610 seperate

Realistically I don't see this below 480 or 500. Otherwise they're not making a huge amount of cash on it. At least it'll launch that high IMO.

You can get 5.1 Asus Xonar cards for $30, or 7.1 Xonar cards for $60. Everything I could see just says "Asus Xonar sound", it doesn't necessarily mean it'll have the top of line in it. Plus, a $600+ would have such a niche market, I don't think they'd put out something that high priced target at gamers. Nobody in their intended demographic would buy it.

You can get 5.1 Asus Xonar cards for $30, or 7.1 Xonar cards for $60. Everything I could see just says "Asus Xonar sound", it doesn't necessarily mean it'll have the top of line in it. Plus, a $600+ would have such a niche market, I don't think they'd put out something that high priced target at gamers. Nobody in their intended demographic would buy it.

No they're putting a CMI8788 and the same amplification and isolated audio path as in the $200 STX. Look up the interview.

No they're putting a CMI8788 and the same amplification and isolated audio path as in the $200 STX. Look up the interview.

That $60 sound card I linked uses the CMI8788 as well though :shrug:

We can go back and fourth on this all we want, but it doesn't mean anything. We'll only know when it get's released :)

That $60 sound card I linked uses the CMI8788 as well though :shrug:

We can go back and fourth on this all we want, but it doesn't mean anything. We'll only know when it get's released :)

I'm ok with the going back and forth. It doesn't look like anybody else is interested in this thread :shrug:

I'm going for 550msrp, 578 newegg price.

I'm also not even slightly interested, personally.
I'd much rather the "black edition" was overclocking oriented rather then gaming oriented.

Hack out the sound until it's 1 channel.
One network port.
No USB3.
No sata6.
No esata controller.
(Ideally it would have a second, two port, sata controller hooked to PCI)
Six rear usb ports.
And that's about it. Trim something with R3E OCing (or better!) like that and you're into the $250-275 range. Better yet, ship it with a ROG Expander for the same $350 total.

That's just me though.

I'm going for 550msrp, 578 newegg price.

I'm also not even slightly interested, personally.
I'd much rather the "black edition" was overclocking oriented rather then gaming oriented.

Hack out the sound until it's 1 channel.
One network port.
No USB3.
No sata6.
No esata controller.
(Ideally it would have a second, two port, sata controller hooked to PCI)
Six rear usb ports.
And that's about it. Trim something with R3E OCing (or better!) like that and you're into the $250-275 range. Better yet, ship it with a ROG Expander for the same $350 total.

That's just me though.

Why not start your own mobo company?

How about an FPcap only motherboard. 24 chokes, 12 FP caps, 2 FP caps for the RAM per channel, 2 FP caps per PCIE slot, HiC caps everywhere else, a copper 1/2 coverage backplate for the CPU that removes socket heat and a full heatpipe system, that's got an oversized pipe with an in/out so it can be used for water cooling.

Call it something really really really hardcore. Like "Ripper" or "Death Star" (it's only copyrighted if you use it as one word)

I lack the funds to start one, strangely :p

Gigabyte is working on a board similar to the one I described, though without the PCI sata and with only four rear usb ports.

Back