• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ST6 vs. VH6T vs. VH6-II?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

surfinguru

Besides the ST6 having the Intel chipset and the VH6 series using the VIA chipsets, why should I choose one over the other?

Reason for the question is I'm looking at going for the Intel Celeron 1.2a and need mobo clarification. Check sig for other misc. equipment as that will be migrating to the new m/b.

You Don't have much of a Choice

If you are planning a Tualatin Upgrade, I would just buy the
ST6 or the VH6T

The VH6II cannot support Tualatin!

ST6 is Intel's i815 chipset
(+) Stable (-) comes with stupid CNR slot and no ISA slot
(-) most i815 have a max memory support of 512mb only

VH6T is the newest ABIT board and was made to support Tualatin in mind.

(+) cheaper
(-) Via.....well it isn't Intel = hidden problem down the road
(+) has 1 ISA slot for your old modem, soundcard, Tv-tuner, etc

Peter007, thanks for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to get back to me on this.
I'm pretty focused on the ST6 but just needed/wanted a little more clarification. The ISA slot isn't that big of a deal for me as I'm on DSL. If I need dial up, I'll just use the company supplied laptop.:D
As far as the chipsets go, doesn't the i815 provide better performance/stability vs. the VIA chipset? Additionally, will I really see any kind of real world performance increase going from 512mb of ram to something more? (Maybe a dumb question as the move from 128mb to 512mb WAS noticeable.)

obviously as new applications are released, they need more memory and who knows how much is needed in the future. generally i thought that above 512mg was unecessary unless you are doing image intensive apps etc. Although i'm quite happay at 256meg's ...at present.

As for the motherboards, i'm using an ST6-R..very good board. However, i just replaced my old folks Motherboard from a BE6-2 to a VH6-T and was quite impressed with it's performance.. No problems with installation & it runs sweet. It is slightly slower than my St6-R but it was alot cheaper.

Don't be put off by good quality Via chipsets, they arn't half bad & contry to what many others say, the ywork very well.

My choice would still be the ST6-R but the VH6-T is a very good board.

Yeah the VH6T is a great board. Prefer the ST6 over it though. I don't like the ISA slot.

I thought that the VH6T ran off ATA66?

Bonka said:

I thought that the VH6T ran off ATA66?

Not unless Abit went a step backwards from the -II (it runs ATA100).

For those concerned with the ISA slot (though I don't know why), it's a shared slot. You don't lose a slot by having it.

Back