• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build will not start (MB: P8P67)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KTurbo

I just bought a new computer. The details off all spec are not really important here.

So my problem is that when I plug in the power the computer do not boot. I have
PSU: Antec PowerSupply (PSU) 650W TruePower
Mother board: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe - ATX

The only thing that happens is that the power/reset button on the mother board is blinking, about once every 3rd second, and making a clicking sound. Could it be a busted PSU or something else? Seems like the mother board do not get enough power to me.

Do you have all the cables plugged in? A common cable that is missed is the 4/8pin CPU one.

Otherwise, unplug everything from the motherboard and just plug in power. Make sure they are securely in and try to boot again.

OK.

So, I looked over all connections and they all seem to be OK. I tried plugging in the power again and same thing, those to buttons/LEDs keep blinking away. I unplugged the power and they kept blinking for like 20 seconds, probably bacause the Mobo has some capacitance.

I've figured I can rule the gfx card and CPU bacause the power wont even get to the Mobo.
Next step should be to try the PSU in another computer, right?

Have you checked your RAM DIMMs? Are they correctly installed?
And ofc is your CPU correct installed?

Try to unplug your GPU as you´ve suggested, and the HDDs/SSDs, your MB seems to get some power if the LEDs are blinking

Is the motherboard mounted in a case? if so remove from the case and place it on the box it came in then connect the power supply and try again. Could be a grounding issue. See what happens with only the cpu/fan, keyboard and ram installed, If it works then remove power and install video card and try again, if that works then remove power install HDD and try again. working your way up trying to find the issue.

So, starting to unplug eveything and checking the connections...

gasp*... The 17th pin on the 24-pin connection do not have any metal to make a connection... Seems odd, I don't think it's suppose to be like that.

Edit: After some research, I was wrong. It can be like that. I'll keep trying and get back later.

I didn't try much, I unplugged all and just hade the RAM and CPU and now it does work. What I mainly did was to screw the board from the case and look over all the screws. It was probably a ground problem, some small connection somewhere. Let's just hope the gfx card and the rest works. I will keep you updated. :)

Yeah, thanks for the help. I had put an extra screw holder for the mobo so it shorted somewhere. :)

You beat me to it. It sounds like a grounding issue. MANY MANY NEW computer PC builders with no experience building will think you can just mount the motherboard and screw it directly into the steel floor of the case without using the riser screws first. LOL it is a direct 100% short, the board wont even show green light, just a pure short. lol

Back