• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P67 - "Overclock Failed"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

murdok5

Running the Sabertooth p67 (which is great so far) and working on my OC.

I have narrowed this issue down to memory, which i aslo had on my previous p55 asus board. I dont have the exact model numbers of ram and bios settings but its basically as follows:

GSkill Ripjaws, 1600mhz. If i set the mobo settings to the exact settings on the sticker, the inital boot will say OC failed, and ill have to go to bios. Once i go into and out of bios, it boots up fine everytime and is prime 95 stable for hours.

This only seems to happen on cold boots. i can restart my computer any other time durring the day and it will not give me any issues with the same settings, it only seems to be if its been sitting for some time...

when i get home i can post full specs, just wondering if anyone else has seen similar behavior before...

mike

The cold boot issue a known bug with the bios. There is an official workaround from Asus here:

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1361-ASUS-P8P67-series-Double-POST-at-Cold-Boot-Fix

Some of you may have been experiencing a double POST on your P8P67 series motherboard whereupon after powering on the system from a cold boot, the board will power on and then immediately reset itself before it actually POSTs and shows any display on the screen. I’ll explain the fix below and give some information about why this happens.
First, I would like to stress the importance of flashing the BIOS to the latest BIOS revision as listed on our support website, http://support.asus.com/download. You can access the ASUS EZ Flash tool from within the UEFI (advanced options, tools) to flash the BIOS from any removable device such as a USB flash drive.

From time to time we needed to implement full resets in order to maintain stability due to the architecture of the Sandy Bridge platform. For instance, the system may require one full reset when the PCH power has been cut during S5 power state. To fix the most common additional reset (double POST when powering on from off state), enter UEFI BIOS -> go to ‘Advanced’ tab -> go down to ‘APM’, press Enter -> enable the “Power on by PCIe.” function. Then press F10 to save & exit. After save & exit, let the system boot into Windows or other OS, then perform a proper shutdown: Start button -> Shut down. You will no longer have the double POST. We will fix this in an upcoming BIOS release.

Hmm does that really solve the RAM issue or just cold boot?

Hopefully Murdok can confirm this :)

It's likely not a RAM issue. Before I did this fix, EVERY time I cold booted it would give me the "overclocked failed" notice, after which I would go into bios, where the overclocked values were already set and "save changes" to get it to boot normally.

ram has passed memtest fine at settings...

havent had a chance to test yet...i will this weekend...last couple of nights the beer was calling louder than the computer....

Murdock I am using (or trying to use) G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

If I only use 1 4gb stick I can reach the Bios and tinker to my hearts content. Just installed windows 7 ultimate and run some temp programs while in Windows.

However if I try using both sticks I get the red led of death. I have upgraded my bios to 1204 and read about pushing the m-test button, reset the cmos, and played with the jumper till my head is about to explode.

Somehow I am going to make this work. I hope the revision 2 or 3 boards that fix the sata issue also fix this memory :bang head

Ok moved the memory sticks to A1 and B1

System booted but only sees 4096 aka 1 stick:confused:

Possibly bad stick? Time to pluck n chuck

Ok both sticks where tested in slot A1

Both sticks are seen right away and the system boots to win7 no problem

My board must be more flaky than a can of biscuits

And RMA's for these are months away due to the sata bug

Frack it, I shall run on 4gbs then

Murdok I hope you get a better solution than I :shrug:

this morning again overclock failed. I tried the solution about the PCIe Power On mentioned above and will test the next time my comp is off for an extended period.

@ Tom - have you tried one stick in each slot separately? My issue wasnt really the mem, since it would eventually post fine. Sometimes taking the memory and voltage settings off auto and setting them to the specs can help.

Well I got it stable at 31 C average amongst the 4 cores in Win 7 using Slot 1A and 1B. It was showing 8gbs and it was fine at 4.4ghz. Used prime for about 10 minutes and the temps went kinda high (67 C on one core, 50's on the rest)

I then left and went out with my wife for about 2 hours. Upon returning the system was down. Had to finally pull one of the mem sticks and re-insert it, then push mem-ok.

She rebooted, got to the bios and was told "You overclock has failed" Yet the setting in bios other than memory where the same. I reset the memory options to 1600 and went onto windows.

CPU-Z is showing only 1 stick again :bang head

I am convinced this board has more than just sata issues. Or could it be this G.Skill memory is also faulty? Sigh, my older system uses ddr2 so short of RMA the memory or buying more no way to tell. But from what others are saying I think the memory is ok, its the board.

I am convinced this board has more than just sata issues. Or could it be this G.Skill memory is also faulty? Sigh, my older system uses ddr2 so short of RMA the memory or buying more no way to tell. But from what others are saying I think the memory is ok, its the board.

I doubt it's the G.Skill memory as I have Corsair memories and i also know a few others that have problem(overclock failed) with getting their proper frequency on their corsair sticks @ P67 Sabertooth.

The bios flash did solve my double POST on cold boot, although i haven't tried changing the RAM settings since i flashed bios.

im happy to report that i have reooted a few different times, and the PCIe setting in bios fixed it!!! awesome! (but strange)

@tom - do you have another ddr3 board you can test the ram in? or other ddr3 you can test in that board? could be a faulty board...

im happy to report that i have reooted a few different times, and the PCIe setting in bios fixed it!!! awesome! (but strange)

@tom - do you have another ddr3 board you can test the ram in? or other ddr3 you can test in that board? could be a faulty board...

Haha, I figured that was it. It is a random *** backwards, counterintuitive bug, isn't it?

omg yeah! i wouldnt ever have thought power settings! lol

buti doubt they will fix, since my p5 asus board had the SAME issue...and it had the latest bios.

either way.... makes me happy that is a setting not a failure!

I tried with the Power on PCIe aswell and cold booted this morning with my memories on 1600 MHz, worked fine! Good job you guys figuring it out :D.

Back