• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microcenter, selling the same drive for 2 prices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One is a RAID drive. :-/

It is in the title. Either the drive is more robust or the drive is tweaked for RAID cards. That, or they are full of it.

Nope same exact drive. Samsung specs are the first link.

Same model # and Samsung only released one version.

Microcenter is playing a game and I called them on it via my Droid and their own site. I am debating going back and talking to the sales manager about it. I dont want to get banned though as I do have to go there for work on occasion.

I was in to pick up another 8 drives, ended up walking out instead with 3 magazines as I just cant break my paper copy love.

Microcenter is playing a game and I called them on it via my Droid and their own site. I am debating going back and talking to the sales manager about it. I dont want to get banned though as I do have to go there for work on occasion.

I was in to pick up another 8 drives, ended up walking out instead with 3 magazines as I just cant break my paper copy love.

I work for microcenter, the manager's can't do anything about the price
the ONLY thing you can do is contact the home office and tell them
they MIGHT reduce it for certain customers, but that depends on the manager

I personally don't see the issue, they are NOT forcing you to buy the more expensive drive

While I don't know what the difference is, they probably have different prices and SKU's due to being different part numbers.

HD103SJ
HE103SJ

Edit: And for what it's worth, NewEgg has them for different prices as well.

HD103SJ $64.99
HE103SJ $79.99

Interesting, it is starting to make me wonder if the original seller (probably NOT Samsung) of these misrepresented. The 103sj is a single model 2 platter scalable (desktop to server) HDD. THere is not a raid version and a non raid version.

Either way. No Microcenter is not forcing anyone to buy those drives, or shop there. Microcenter typically is a great store. Lately, the selection and quality (clean, in stock items, shelves not looking like they were robbed) at least at my local store has been getting lower and lower. At this point, while I still really like Microcenter, I am looking less and less at them for items I need.

Wrong, they are 2 different model #s. Go check again. As stated earlier, 1 is the HE103SJ, the other is the HD103SJ. It clearly states that the HE is a "RAID" class drive. If the manufacturer has both on their website under different model #s, I think Microcenter is right in selling two different models. Samsung calls the HE103SJ as a Spinpoint F3R, where as the HD103SJ is just a Spinpoint F3.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/productmodel.do?type=94&subtype=98&model_cd=507

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/productmodel.do?group=&type=94&subtype=98&model_cd=560

I work for microcenter, the manager's can't do anything about the price
the ONLY thing you can do is contact the home office and tell them
they MIGHT reduce it for certain customers, but that depends on the manager

I personally don't see the issue, they are NOT forcing you to buy the more expensive drive

Not that I don't believe you, but I can't even remember how many times I have asked the Cambridge MA manager to price match hardware, especially for computers. I know what I want from the store, before I even set foot through the doorway, and always have a printout of the item in question. It has always been on the spot also. If they have prior authorization to do such things, I don't know. Just last month, I ended up getting a couple more Corsair F120s, and they gave me the Newegg price.

Doesn't look the same to me. One has RAID support and is labeled "enterprise". That's your price difference.

It's like comparing a WD Black to a WD RE3 HDD.

Not that I don't believe you, but I can't even remember how many times I have asked the Cambridge MA manager to price match hardware, especially for computers. I know what I want from the store, before I even set foot through the doorway, and always have a printout of the item in question. It has always been on the spot also. If they have prior authorization to do such things, I don't know. Just last month, I ended up getting a couple more Corsair F120s, and they gave me the Newegg price.

Hmm, really? While I haven't tried, I want to pick up a Asus Xonar Xense kit, $280 on Newegg (and TigerDirect, Amazon, everywhere on the web), would be almost $360 at Cambridge Microcenter. Only thing stopping me trying, is coming from Providence, it's a painful drive due to Boston traffic. Hate to go out there and not be able to get anything. Technically, I could still "get" it, but I'm not going to pay $80 extra to have something immediately instead of waiting 3 days.

Back