• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 4-way Classified memory slot problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

While starting to overclock my new i7 970, I noticed that the BIOS was only reporting 4GB of my 6GB of RAM. After playing swap the RAM and slots game, I found out that all of my RAM seems to work in slots 3 & 5, but none of them work in slot 1. I have 3x2GB GSkill DDR3-1600 Ripjaws.

Windows says that 6GB is installed, and so does CPU-Z. But the task manager (along with the BIOS) only shows 4GB available.

Do I need to RMA the board? Are there things I could try to fix it? I've got a whole motherboard waterblock installed, and it will be a pain to remove it and replace the stock cooling.

And it won't boot if I put the RAM in slots 2, 4, and 6.

(Sorry for short post, I'm on break)

I had this exact problem. I flashed bios, changed timings, changed voltages and searched everywhere for a fix.

Try increasing the QPI voltage, this seems to help the problem for some people.

Other than that I suggest RMA

Ok, I had the 1 stick out for a while as I was getting ready to RMA it when my new system was built (so I wouldn't be down while it was out of RMA). I'd also read somewhere that loosening the timing may help.

So, while I was swapping out a video card, I put the ram in, and booted up.

The timing is tighter than when it wouldn't see the stick, but for some reason now, all 6GB are showing up?

I'm at 8-8-8-24, though it is slightly underclocked because I'm on the 2:8 divider, as running at 2:10 at my current overclock gives me about 1800Mhz ram speed, and this ram doesn't seem to be able to run folding@home at that speed.

I've even rebooted a couple of times, and it is still reporting all 6gb in bios and windows.

:shrug:

Oh, and since I wasn't great reporting, I did update the bios, and it didn't help when I tried it.

Back